Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

need help with slow stick package

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

need help with slow stick package

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
2manycruisers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with slow stick package

I've done enough research on this forum to pick out a slow stick and HiTec Neon SS radio for my dad. He's expressed interest in learning to fly, but at this point is uncommitted, so I don't want to go big on upgrades and accessories. Any reason to get the 300 motor over the 400? I was looking at Tower Hobbies, the EPS w/400C and the suggested battery, charger, and ESC to go with it. Is it worth a few extra bucks up front to get a different battery, charger, or speed control? I don't want to spend the extra money for LiPo stuff at this point, but was mostly curious about something like 8.4V NiMH or something like that. I don't understand enough about electrics or electric airplanes to know what difference mAh makes (or what it is, for that matter) and how gearing and prop size/pitch affect amperage. I'm in a small town in northern NM with no hobby shop nearby, so I'm at a loss for in-person assistance.

Tower Hobbies lists:
Great Planes Electrifly C-12 Micro Brushed ESC w/BEC
Great Planes Electrifly DC Peak Charger
GWS 6cell 7.2V 270 mAh NiCD JST battery

Thanks,
David
Old 08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help with slow stick package

The 300 is lighter than the 400, but the SS can handle the extra weight.

400 is a more robust motor and will last longer. On the other hand, for the same size battery, the 300 will get longer flight times.

Nimh batteries are lighter, which is better. I'd stick with Nimh's.

For the 300, an 8.4V battery of 650 mah will do, for the 400, you'll likely want something larger, around 1000 mAh or so--8.4V battery will work, 9.6V is better for the 400. You need a battery that will feed your motor the current amps it needs, small batteries can't usually do that, not to mention the short flight times you'd get out of a 7.2V 270mAh battery....

The GWS speed controls are fine too, I don't know the prices--you need the 300 ESC for the 300 and the 400 ESC for the 400....

In the end, it probably doesn't matter much which you get because it's just a training platform.

He'll likely need some extra props and a prop shaft or two. A nose in will usually always break a prop and may bend a prop shaft which can't always be straightened out.

First flights should be done on windless days. You'll understand when you see the SS fly in bumpy conditions!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 AM
soarhead-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help with slow stick package

2many:
Heres the set-up I had and was a very good flier. I have seen the 300 and 400 both, IMHO I think the 300 is better because it is a lighter set-up. Hitech is a OK choice for radio too, have one, great radio! GWS ics-300 speed control or the one you chose are great. GWS one is around 12-15 bucks. I wouldnt mess with the nicad battery you have chosen though, 270ma will only fly it for around 5-6 minutes. Go with nimh chemistry batteries much lighter. I used the GWS 7 cell 750ma nimhs. They are green or yellow in color and will fly the SS for 12-15 minutes cost is around 12-15 apeice. get at least 2 or three. Mount the batterys under the wing at the balance point so you can use different batteries (weight) and still not upset the balance of the plane. For a charger I like the Hobbico MK11, it will charge nicads-nimhs and lipo types of batteries and has 2 different ports so you can charge 2 batteries at once in the field. On the bench I use a converted PC power supply to get the 12v for the MK11 for charging there. The SS is a very versatile plane flys nice and slow for a beginner but is a great soccer field flier for a experienced person to just go out on a nice calm evening and putt around and unwind after the work day. Everyone should have one or somthing like it.........
Good Luck
Bob