Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What a night

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Robertm64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a night

Tonight was my first flight ever. and i did it all by myself. no prior training! I have a gws estarter. upon taxing it down the runway i discovered no matter how far i pushed the rudder to the right it still turned violently to the left.[&:]! so yeah even thought the haves of the fuse were lined up the landing gear didnt go in straight! no wonder it didnt taxi straight. so i ge it on a goot take off surface and JAM the throtle wide open and pull back on the elevators[>:]!! WOOHOO! take off in about 8 feet i flew for about 50 yards in a semi circle finding out how sensitive the controls really are[X(]( my first flight ever remind you)!! i landed and tore the landing gear right off well alright i needed to glue them on straight anyways. well now what! im not letting that get me down. HANDLAUNCH!!! my second attempt was much better i circled the field several times the flight was about 5 mins.

now to the question the plane seems to roll to the right or left and side slip rather quickly mind you. so I let go of the stick and throttle it down and it leveled out. back on the throttle and away i go again. Is this because i am making the plane turn too hard? it only seems to happen when im trying to turn the plane. What else could be causing this?

Oh yes it went into another spiral death spin about 10 yards from the ground having logged my 5 mins 22.4 seconds of flight time im not that fast on the stick and only managed to level it out just before a fast and furious landing. and I broke my prop! not bad i might say for my first flight. really wish I had an instructor after reading some of the horror stories about first solo flights.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What a night

ORIGINAL: Robertm64

now to the question the plane seems to roll to the right or left and side slip rather quickly mind you. so I let go of the stick and throttle it down and it leveled out. back on the throttle and away i go again. Is this because i am making the plane turn too hard? it only seems to happen when im trying to turn the plane. What else could be causing this?
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. The answer may be that the reason it seems to roll quickly is because:
1) you either have controls set up with too much deflection,

2) because you are 'jamming' the sticks around and not using smooth controls (when you fly smoothly, it's more like you are applying pressure to the sticks rather than throwing them around) or finally,

3)because since this is your first plane, it just seems to roll fast. Once you master the Estarter and go on to other planes, you'll realize the roll rate on a stock Estarter is tame. So for now, take it easy on the sticks, fly smoothly, and do your best to stay ahead of the plane (always be in control of what it's doing). Unless you like to rebuild, save the wild stuff for after you've learned the basics.

Lots of Estarter flyers here. If you ever need any help, keep asking. There's a lot to learn.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:19 AM
TheJester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What a night

Oh yes it went into another spiral death spin about 10 yards from the ground having logged my 5 mins 22.4 seconds of flight time im not that fast on the stick and only managed to level it out just before a fast and furious landing. and I broke my prop! not bad i might say for my first flight. really wish I had an instructor after reading some of the horror stories about first solo flights.
As a rule of thumb that I have heard and used while first learning and even after, try to stay two screw ups off the ground.
really wish I had an instructor after reading some of the horror stories about first solo flights.
Invest in a computer simulator, not only is it less expensive to try things and crash a plane, it gives you something to do after fixing planes, building planes, at night, and/or it's raining.