Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Converting 3 channel to 4

Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Hatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 3 channel to 4

I am wanting to get into 4-channel flight but don't really have the money to do it yet. Also, I'm kind of scared to try it since it is pretty different. So, I was wondering if it is possible to toss ailerons on my 3-channel plane to try 4-channel flight out. My thinking is that if I have problems using the ailerons, then I can just fly the plane like I have been and gradually learn that way. Do you think it is possible to do this or am I making a big mistake? My plane is the Hobbico AeroCruiser with an AXI 2212/20 brushless, APC 8x4, and 1500mAh 3S LiPo. Hopefully someone out there has tried this before.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 AM
flyingace451

Default RE: Converting 3 channel to 4

Ailerons aren't very different at all. When using ailerons, you just use banking and pulling back on the elevator to excecute a turn. If you have ever flown a flying wing, than you know exactly how it feels to fly without rudder, you may actually like flying with ailerons better than rudder.

You basically have 2 options that you can go with, and that's using 1 servo for both ailerons or 2 servos (1 servo per aileron). It sounds like you have standard radio equipment instead of RTF crap, so that is very good and will make your wallet happy (I had to buy standard equipment and a Tx before I could go 4ch). Depending on your Rx, you may need a Y harness if you use 2 ailerons. If you aren't flying 3D, one servo will do just fine. All you have to do is: 1, cut out the ailerons in the wing and make sure both wing sides are identical. 2, hinge the ailerons (hinge tape or CA hinges work fine). 3, install 2 control horns, one per aileron and install them on the side closest to the Fuse. 4, install the servo in the center of the wing, where the servo arm is an equal distance from each control horn. 5, plug the servo wire/wires into your Rx and test to make sure you are on the right channel. 6, use pushrods to connect the control horn to the servo arm.

Now you can test the movement of the ailerons. When viewed from the back, when you enter right stick the right aileron should move up and the left down. When you enter left stick the left should move up and right go down. This is a fairly straight forward mod and if you do it, it will give you a chunk of experience right off of the bat.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here too, but if you have more questions ask away.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 PM
feihu

Before you do anything, here are some things that you might consider.
Are you using a 3 channel radio or a 4 channel radio?
If you're using a 3 channel single stick radio, then you can't revert back to rudder only in flight; you would have to land and change plugs in the receiver.
If you have a 4 channel radio, then you can fly with either rudder only, or ailerons only, or both.
Regarding the modification you would have to make, I think the simplist would be to mount the aileron servo on top of the wing and use strip ailerons with tape hinged to the trailing edge of the wing. You might build a base for the aileron servo so that it can be taped to the wing so you don't cut into the wing, but I think that cutting a small rectangular hole in the top of the wing might anchor the servo sufficiently.
Now, depending on the dihedral of the wing, ( which I expect might be 5 - 7 degrees) the aileron effectiveness in flight will be compromised. So there can be a condition where full aileron with dihedral results in a steady state bank. For maximum aileron effectiveness, you need ZERO dihedral.
Now you can either make a dihedral mod to your AeroCruiser or build a new wing with zero or 1-2 degrees dihedral and have excellent aileron control, but then you will not be able to fly rudder only for turns.
Another consideration is how the added weight of the aileron system (servo and ailerons and control arms hookup) might affect the flying.

Or you might consider a new airplane with ailerons.

feihu

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Fliprob17

Flying with ailerons is easier than rudder only in my opinion, you have much more control over the plane. Definitely make sure you have a 4 channel TX and RX before you think about doing anything. I would suggest going with one servo that runs both ailerons, so when looking at the top of the wing from the back of the plane, you turn left, the left one goes up and the right one goes down at the same time and vice versa. Like feihu was saying, if your wing does not have a slight angle or taper to it as it goes towards the tip (dihedral) then it might be a little difficult to put ailerons on it.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Fliprob17

ok, I think I just found a picture of your plane, is it yellow with a round tipped main wing? If so, I don't think modifying for ailerons will work very well.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Hatty

Yeah, after doing a bit more research, I don't think it would be wise to toss ailerons on the plane. The wing will probably not support the forces since it is pretty thin foam. I'm just going to have to eventually buy a 4-channel plane. I have all the radio equipment, motor, etc. Everything but the airframe. Do they sell planes without anything included? I don't really want to spend money on stuff I'm going to immediately take off. Ah, I guess I'll just jeep doing what I do with my 'ol 3-channel.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Fliprob17

Yes they do sell planes without all of the electronics. Most of the ARF planes have control rods and horns already installed, you just have to drop in your gear and off you go. Take a look at some of these:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna172.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aerosubaru.htm

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2200

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL6000
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
flyingace451

Most planes that have ailerons can't really be flown rudder only very well. But it all depends on the plane. Flying with ailerons is a lot easier than you are making it out to be, just bank and yank and you'll be fine. Later you can mix in some fine tuning of getting just the right amount of rudder, aileron, and elevator going at the same time to make some really pretty banking turns. Really scale, too.