Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Reducing Power Consuption

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:54 AM
AuzzieRCFlyer-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Power Consuption

I'm new to R/C but an electronics engineer by trade. As I understand it the ESC provides throttle control & the power supply for the receiver (am I right)?!

If this is the case can someone tell me if (for example) for GWS ESC-100 uses a switching regulator for the receiver supply?

If not then one would hazard a guess it's a simple linear regulator, which is ineffiecient & simply wastes (valuable) energy!

I have been modifying small R/C cars for a while by adding extra batteries inside them, this not only increases the overall voltage going to the control pcb but also the voltage used to control the simple steering mech'.

One way around this is to use a 'trick' switching regulator. This is a VERY small device (the size of small postage stamp) & VERY light. It only requires 2 or 3 filter caps (again VERY light & small) & has just 3 pins! In, Ground & Output!

Some of you may know of the common garden LM7805 5V regulator, yes, this is a linear regulator. However this 'trick' device I use is the same package & pin outs but instead uses a little switcher with upwards of 89% efficiency!

This 'trick' device could be wired straight to the battery (its' max input range is around 40v!) The version I use has a rating of 2 amps which should be more than enough to power the receiver!

If anyone has any comments or is interested in the device let me know! :idea:
Old 01-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I'm pretty sure they just use a simple linear 5V regulator. The additional flight time you'd get from a more efficient regulator wouldn't amount to more than a few seconds, and it would be considerably more expensive, right? Most people buying R/C stuff are looking to spend the least amount of money possible. Ask them to spend even just $10 more on an ESC for a few seconds of additional flight, and most won't think it's worth it.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Steve Lewin

Yes they're linear regs, usually one of the low dropout ones like a 2940. But....receiver and all servos usually take less than 300mA average. Motor typically takes 10A-30A. You won't save very much I'm afraid. And then there's the unfortunate fact that switching regs tend to be very good at producing RF interference.

If you're really worried about it you don't have to use the BEC, you can always use a separate battery for the Rx and servos. Indeed most larger models do just that.

But if your "trick" switching reg doesn't produce RF and is available for the same price as an LM2940, say around 50c retail, then it'd be interesting to try it out. I'd be more interested in it running cooler than the energy savings though.

Steve
Old 04-15-2003, 04:45 PM
John M. Bigelow

Like steve says go to rido shack and get a ding dong book
look up the voltage regulators it not that hard. CU