Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns refers to the number of times the wire is wrapped around the armature on a brushed motor, or the field on a brushless motor.

Remember making electromagnets with a nail and copper wire as a kid? The more times you wrapped the wire around the nail, the stronger the magnet was, right? The same principle is true with motors. A motor with more turns develops a stronger magnetic field. It has more torque, and can turn a larger propeller than a motor with fewer turns on the same amount of electricity.

The problem with more turns of wire is that resistance increases as the wire gets longer. Resistance inhibits the flow of electrical current. This means that for any given propeller, a motor with more turns will not draw as much current, and will not turn the propeller as fast.

Motors with fewer turns work better in gearboxes while motors with more turns work better direct drive.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely. There are a lot of really good brushed motors for $20-$25.

Which one you pick is going to depend on your application, though. For 6 or 7 cells and a 7x4 or 8x4 prop, a stock motor will be fine.