Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Tower Pro ESC problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:00 AM
BrettBroome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Pro ESC problem

I bought a Tower Pro 30a Brushless ESC off a mob in Hong Kong thru' ebay. It didn't come with any instructions so I have connected it up as usual.. same as the Easy 40 in my F4U. Problem is, it doesn't work. when connected the E Flight Park 370 twitches slightly (rythmically) emitting a very faint beeping sound for a few seconds then falls silent. throttle movement has no effect. I'm using a 2S 1500mah Lipo. Any suggestions??
This is the site from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

cheers......
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
critterhunter

Default RE: Tower Pro ESC problem

Go to rcgroups.com in the Power Sources (Systems?) forum and look for a thread called "Caution" only it's spelled wrong as something like "Coution" and also contains mention of Tower Pro 30 Amp Generation Two ESC in the title. In it you'll find the latest instructions on programming this ESC as there are at least two versions of it.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Brett,

The twitching IS the beeping. ESCs make the beeps through the motor, believe it or not. They use the motor's windings as "voice coils" along the same lines as as regular speaker.

Rhythmic beeping like that is an indication of an error condition. The fact that it is faint tells me you may have an issue with the connection between the motor and ESC. Check for cold solder joints, indicated by a dull grey, flakey appearance.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
BrettBroome

Thanks for that guys.
I've read your threads on the topic & totally agree that the documentation for this product is really poor. The supplier in Hong Kong has emailed me the latest instructions in PDF which indicate that submenu 4 is PWM not cutoff voltage. The other threads tend indicate from the bench test that it is voltage cutoff as he says it shutdown the motor just over 6V for a 2s Lipo.

The supplier has offered to replace mine as no matter what I do I cannot get it to go to the submenu. I checked the joints Matt & they're all OK. It's doing the da de da rythm for 10 cycles then repeating it after a short break & won't go to the submenu. Throttle position has absolutely no effect. However I found that disconnecting either Red or black will interrup the sequence, but disconnecting the yellow wire from the ESC makes no difference to the beeping at all. Whether or not this is significant who knows!
The faint motor beebing is amplified greatly when fully mounted on the fuse. Interesting stuff.....