Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

opinion on motor choice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 06:03 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on motor choice!!!

I want to setup a electric sailplane in the 100 to 120 inch size. With the motor and batteries these models will weigh in at 4 to 5 pounds or more ready to fly
Im considering a Phasor 15\3 brushless using the Phasor 45\op no bec brushless ESC and a folding prop. Will this motor give me good performance.........my main goal is to motor for height and thermal around or just motor around. I was thinking about using 8 to 10 cell batteries in the 1000 to 1200 mah rating. I notice many electrics are using much higher amp batteries. Do I need more power than 1000 to 1200 just to launch the glider. I would like to get several launches per charge....so if you think I should get more powerful batteries to extend flight time let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2002, 08:38 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on motor choice!!!

I'd put a Jeti 30-3 in there instead of the 15-3. I used the 30-3 on a 5 lb hotliner (kinda heavy) (76" span) and it took it up at a good clip (70 degree angle off the handlaunch) A plane the size you are talking would still give you good climbs, though not the rocket climbs that I was getting. I was running 10 cells.

You may want to look at one of the Hackers, with a gearbox or one of the Mega brushless motors

For Hacker go to www.aero-model.com

For Mega's go to www.megamotorsusa.com

--Paul