Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

2.3mm adapter for 2mm shaft?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

2.3mm adapter for 2mm shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
stoneb1b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.3mm adapter for 2mm shaft?

My E-Flite park 400 has a 2mm drive shaft, I have looked for a folding prop for it (DD) but the closest I can find is 2.3mm. Has anyone tried this? Is it close enough?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: 2.3mm adapter for 2mm shaft?

Nope, not close enough. It won't tighten down on the shaft.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
stoneb1b

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 AM
uscra112

You need a sleeve with about .006" wall thickness to take up the slack. With some care, it should be possible to roll a piece of .006" brass shim stock into such a small tube. If you are using a collet type adaptor, this should do it. Start with a piece of the correct width, and about an inch long. Fold it double over the motor shaft. Pinch with pliers to form it as far as you can, then cut off the tag ends with side-cutters and pinch come more. You'll get it.

Shim stock doesn't grow on trees anymore - it used to be possible to buy it in hardware stores, but with the ascendency of the "big box" Lowes and Home Despot emporia, the kind of useful "had everything" hardware store I knew as a kid has nearly disappeared. Your hobby shop may have brass sheet .005" thick. Try that. Another possible source may be an aluminum food tray. Either way, roughen the motor shaft by holding a bit of sandpaper on it while it spins under power, and then use an adhesive at final assembly. Best is high-strength Loctite, but I've found that good old JB Weld does a very good job for things like this. If you do use JB Weld, take heed that while it is very strong it is also a VERY slow-curing epoxy. Give it a full 24 hours before putting any load in it.

If you are using a set-screw type adaptor, the sleeve should not be a full tube - leave a gap so the setscrew can bear directly on the motor shaft. Again, use JB Weld on final assembly.

BTW I've used JB Weld time and again to secure gearbox pinions on motor shafts for planetary gearboxes. Best stuff I know for that.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
feihu

Hobby Lobby
Collet type prop adapter MJ4700 for 2mm shaft, prop shaft 4.9mm $4.90
" " MJ4696 " " $4 40
Graupner prop shaft adapter GR605320 2.0mm motor shaft, 4.9mm prop shaft $5.40

The collet types are great!

feihu
Old 12-14-2006, 10:34 AM
ChopperMike

Shim stock is easy to obtain actually. K&S, which any hobby will handle, packages an assortment of various sizes. I just picked one up a few weeks ago.

Mike