Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

RealFlight G3 vs a real plane

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

RealFlight G3 vs a real plane

Old 11-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Hatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RealFlight G3 vs a real plane

I have been flying a 3 channel electric trainer for a while but now want to move to a 4 channel electric trainer. I am also looking into getting the RealFlight G3 flight sim. Which one do you think I should get?

I'm a college student, so I have very little money, so the purchase of either will be the only one I make for a while. I know that the flight sim will let me train for many types of models, but is it worth sacrificing my chance of flying outdoors? I just want to know what you think? Are there many electric models that come with the program since I'm not a big fan of gas?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
dirtdiver07

Default RE: RealFlight G3 vs a real plane

It depends on what you want to learn to fly but I would recommend the Aerofly Pro Deluxe or the G3.5 to you. It is so important and you will have alot more sucess if you put alot of hours in on the simulator. However, a foamie plane would not be a bad investment for you either if you have good experience flying. As far as your preference towards electric there is nothing wrong with that and very possible with todays technologically advanced market. Good Luck!

Nathan
Old 11-23-2006, 03:26 AM
HPIracer4

i second that. i would suggest aerofly pro deluxe or g3.5. but nothing really beats flying outside, but it is good practice
Old 11-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Helijack

You have to factor in crashes if you fly the real thing. If you can't afford them, then the simulator is the way to go for now.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Toker41

You can find a lot of foamies on Ebay that come with FMS, and will allow you to use the Tx that comes with the Foamie RTF. The FMS sim is no where near as good as the G3, but there are pleanty of people that use it, and claim it helps a lot. I would recomment the G3, but if you want a lot more bang for the buck, a foamie RTF that includes a sim might be your best shot. FMS can also be downloaded for free, and a Tx to use with it can be bought for about $15 on Ebay.

Side question: Does anyone know where to find different planes to load in the FMS?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
trevormatney

I really appreciate how using realflight G3.5 is improving my flying, while saving me lots of $$$ in crashed airplanes. There is also the added advantage of being able to practice flying when the weather is bad, or I'm short on time. A flight simulator is a good investment in my opinion, and I would certainly recommend one to any new pilot.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Hatty

I should have said G3.5. I forgot that it was out. I understand what you guys are saying. The simulator costs $200 and the plane I'm looking at, GWS E-Starter, costs ~$35 since I have all of the equipment. It wouldn't be that hard to buy that plane down the road. In the meantime, I could just fix my 3 channel. I broke it then a gust flipped it over during takeoff. More than a year without having to make a repair. A pretty good run. Because of this, a simulator might be better. I can make sure that doesn't happen again.

On a side note, can you use the controller that comes with G3.5 for the FMS or another simulator? It would only increase my desire to get it.

Oh yeah, for those who have G3.5, can you modify the aircraft to increase thrust, control throw, weight, etc? I never fly electrics with the setup that comes with the plane. Can you make your own planes?

Thanks for your help.