Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Spektrum DX-6 and Chrome Monokote

Old 12-10-2006, 12:18 AM
E-Challenged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum DX-6 and Chrome Monokote

I am building a scale electric powered Cessna 140 model and want to cover the fuselage with chrome Monokote rubbed with a Scotchbrite pad to simulate real aluminum. I had been warned of potential signal blocking with chrome Monokote. I contacted Horizon Hobbies and asked their advice on DX-6 versus chrome Monokote. HH said that they have not heard of any problems with chrome Monokote. I asked HH to reconfirm this because I had been advised against using chrome Mono by others. HH reconfirmed that there should be no problems with proper DX-6 installation.

I will be sure to orient the two short antennas at 90 degrees inside the fuselage. I plan to cover the wing with Coverite Microlite silver as it is lighter and looks like the early Cessna silver painted fabric covered wing.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Spektrum DX-6 and Chrome Monokote

edon't know about the Spektrum radios, but I have heard the same myth about chrome monocote in the past. I've never had a problem using it, including a full house Mustang on an old Am Polk's radio.
Walt
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
ChopperMike

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would be very leery of this. I have had problems with chrome Monokote with 72Mhz equipment where the antenna was run internally in a plastic tube. With the 2.4Ghz radio the problem will be even worse. Even the equipment inside your airplane will block the signal at these high frequencies, hence the dual antenna system. You'll probably want to run some tests to see if it will be a problem.

Mike

Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
BIGGSNAKE78

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ijust had this problem whith the chrome monokote on a F27b Stryker, it cut the transmitter down to a 50 ft range. I know it is only a low band frequency but just be careful. If you run the antenna outside you should not have a problem.