Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pico or Naro Servos for GWS Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Pico or Naro Servos for GWS Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pico or Naro Servos for GWS Cub?

Hello all

I have a GWS Cub - the one with the fuselage. It flys OK but seems underpowered. It needs 3/4 to full throttle just to maintain altitude.

I built it with the GWS Naro flight pack, which includes Naro servos and the 270 mAh 7.2 V nicad pack. Now I wonder if I should have used the lighter Pico servos instead.

Does anyone else have experience with Nano servos on this plane? How does yours fly?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 08:17 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying a pico cub for over a year now, as well as a pico tiger moth, and I would have to say that if you're used to larger glow planes, "underpowered" is certainly an apt description for the general flight characteristics of these planes. Once you get used to it, they're great. I doubt that switching out the naro servos for the picos would reap a large benefit in this plane. That's just my 2c worth--I've been wrong before. However, in my experience, good batteries are key! I have flown mine with everything from 6-cell 150 nicd to 7-cell 400 nicd and the plane climbs out and flies well on all, provided they are freshly peaked. At any rate, I don't think the weight savings would justify the extra cost, unless you have the extra servos lying around without a home.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just changing out the servos will only save you a few grams, not enough to noticeably alter the flying characteristics of the plane.

This plane was meant to fly with the much lighter 110/150 mAh battery pack. However, the plane should still fly fairly well for what it is with the heavier 270mAh pack.

Part of the problem is that you're expecting too much of this plane. Level flight at 3/4 throttle is excellent performance for these small GWS planes. Remember, these were meant to be slow, easy to fly planes for beginners, not something to burn holes in the sky with.

What propeller are you using? Try a 10x4.7 if you're using the 9x7 that typically comes with this plane.