Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Zagi Set-up Question Please Read!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zagi Set-up Question Please Read!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Stephen Byers
My Feedback: (-3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi Set-up Question Please Read!!

I would like too replace the Factory Speed 400 on my new Zagi but I am kinda new at this, I would like too know what would be the best COMBINATION of Brushless Motor/SpeedControl/Batterries would be ideal for this type of application? Sounds like ya'll know what your talking about so help a guy out! Thank You All. Also I was kinda thinking of putting a Electric Ducted Fan Unit on one also so if ya'll can help me out there also would be great! Oh and one more thing were would be the cheapest place too go to purchase this kind of equip.?? [email protected]
Old 01-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

A brushless Zagi a mega 16/15/2 on 8 or 10 1300CP cells would turn it into a missle zagi. They sure work well. Another good motor would be the Jeti 15/4 on an 8x6 and 8 cells. Look at www.hobby-lobby.com for the motors.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:25 PM
BoomZilla

I can highly recommend a Mega 16/15/4, Jeti JES30-3p controller with a MAS 7x4 prop. It will run great on either of the stock Zagi batteries. I make cheap packs from AA NIMH batteries. For more kick, use 10-cell packs of HE-1100s.

I tried the Magnetic Mayhem brushed motor (a speed 600 type others have suggested), but was disappointed. It drew too much current for the Zagi or NIMH batteries and was too heavy. While it would fly pretty fast it was sluggish and not very aerobatic.

I also have a Mega 16/15/3, but this motor is a bit too hot for a Zagi (in my opinion). It is better suited for a ProJeti type plane.

I have not tried a 480 or cobalt motor, but for the price I would say go brushless you won't regret it.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

The Astro 020 #803Z works well with MAS 5.5x4 prop. I'm using a Hacker 30A esc. This has been a very solid combination.

Model Number p/n 803Z
Motor Name: Sensorless 020 Motor for Zagi
Gear Ratio: Reversed
Stator Winding: 5 turns # 20
Stator Resistance: 0.075 ohms
Speed (Kv): 2567 rpm/volt
No Load Amps: 1 amp
Best Battery: 7 to 9 cells
Best Prop: MAS 5.5x4
Prop RPM: 18,000/21,000
Motor Amps: 15 to 20 amps
Power Input: 125 to 175 watts
Motor Length: 1.75 inches
Motor Diameter: 0.980 inches
Motor Shaft Dia.: 1/8 inch
Prop Shaft Dia.: 3/16 inch
Weight: 2.5 ounces
Control Type: Sensorless
Control BEC: 5 volts @ 1 amp
Control Mosfets: 12 Mosfets
Control Weight: 1/2 ounce

Regards,
TX
Old 01-28-2003, 12:45 AM
latch66

Default What do you want to do?

I'm running a Mega 16/15/4 with a Phoenix 25 ESC and 8 cell 1700 Nimh HR4/5 packs.

I'm very happy with this combo.

It's really according to what you want out of the Zagi. This combination gives rock solid performance. Decent flight times (6 minutes at WOT). But is neither the fastest, nor the longest duration. It also doesn't have true vertical performance.

My suggestion is to contact Castle Creations at www.castlerc.com

Talk to Pat at Castle Creations and he can set you up with the right combination for what you want. He stocks Mega and Aveox brushless motors. He will also recommend battery and ESC's for what you are wanting to do. Some of his stuff is not listed on his webpage, so it pays to give him a call and talk to him personnaly.

Just my 2 cents.

I hope you have good luck no matter what you decide upon to power your Zagi.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:27 PM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

Default bnolw away all of them with this

mega 16/15/3 ,castle creations 25 amp esc, 3s2p lithium polymer battery. expensive but insane
Old 09-03-2003, 02:13 AM
d_wheel

"3s2p lithium polymer battery"

What mah rating is this battery?

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 AM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

about 4200mah
Old 09-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The Mega 16/15/X series of motors will strap right in place of the stock motor, as they're the exact same size.

If you're going to hop your Zagi up with a super-duper brushless motor, you're going to need to reinforce the wing, or you'll have catastrophic "Zagi flap." The wing will literally start flapping like a bird's, and it will break in half. Zagis are not rigid enough in their stock form to handle speeds much higher than what they can achieve in their stock form. In fact, a high-speed full-throttle dive will get the plane flapping.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Zagi Set-up Question Please Read!!

Or, you can practice throttle management and stick with the Zagi stock. I'd be happy if I could chew up altitude when I want to climb. I've just got my first Zagi going (a 400X) and what a blast it is.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Dave Genet
Or, you can practice throttle management and stick with the Zagi stock.
In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately, everyone will, at some point, feel The Need For Speed(tm). Someone will think, "Hmm, what'll happen if I open 'er up on the flat?"

I'll tell you: FLAPPITY FLAPPITY FLAPPITY SPLAT!
Old 09-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Cliffw

The Astro 020 is what I suggest. I deliver about 30-50 a month and always get letters with big smiles attached. It comes with a matched prop and a Sensorless ESC. no mods to your plane are necessary as it will fit nicely in the current motor tray. The ESC even has the Deans already on it.

Go get some new sun glasses as you will need them.

Cliff Whitney
Atlantahobby.com
Worlds largest flying wing dealer
Old 10-26-2003, 07:32 PM
lynnpreston

I have a 16/15/3 on my Zagi-razor knock-off right now and it really cooks. No "Zagi-flap" yet I was thinking about trying the Mega 16/15/2, but I can't locate a 4x3 prop (which they recommend). Has anyone used the 16/15/2 before? Is it that much hotter than the 3 turn?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:29 PM
slcrcflyer

get a Aveox speed 400 style with a castle creations controller // I have used all of the other setups everyone else is talking about and they do not compare to the aveox performance // be sure to use a 1700mah nimh pack this is the only pack that I found that can handle the amp draw

[X(]PS:: Glue carbon tape accross the entire width of the wing or this setup will fold your plane in half!!!!!!!!!