Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Open" Design - Project 2 - Vickers Wellington - 1:17.2 Scale - version 1.0

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

"Open" Design - Project 2 - Vickers Wellington - 1:17.2 Scale - version 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:41 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Open" Design - Project 2 - Vickers Wellington - 1:17.2 Scale - version 1.0

Ok Fellas.

I have finally created a thread just for the Vickers Wellington design effort. If you don't know what I'm talking about then check out the following thread in this forum "Open" Design.

I've attached the latest CAD drawing that I've been working on. It has a 3D motor with gearbox positioned in the correct location and I've got a top, left and front view super-imposed on each other to make up the basic 3D layout.

Let me know what you think of the drawing. I hope we can now all start adding to the drawing and get the design effort moving forward.

Side note:
I noticed that the drawing hints at a semi-symmetric airfoil. Should we go with this or modify it to a flat bottom airfoil. Any suggestions on what airfoil to use (it's not quite my area, yet ). I always just design an airfoil that looks "rghts" and go with it. It has not failed me so far, but I would like to put more thought into an airfoil design that we choose. I have an airfoil in mind, but I can't get any decent analysis from XFoil, so I can't tell you anything about it's characteristics. I can tell you that I use it in my current plane with good results (my own design of plane and airfoil).

-Q..
Attached Files
File Type: zip
50920_10389.zip (23.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-28-2003, 09:04 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Open" Design - Project 2 - Vickers Wellington - 1:17.2 Scale - version 1.0

Can I suggest Eppler 374. Its a well known glider section which is what a Wellington is, a powered glider. It will endow excellent performance and handling characteristics on the model whilst being thick enough to be strong. It is flat bottomed behind the spar for easy building. I would recommend a couple of degree geometric washout too, the model may have quite a high wing loading.
Regards,
JohnMac
Old 01-31-2003, 06:32 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get co-ordinates for the Eppler and Clark airfoils? Know of a site where we can download some? I want to put them through XFoil and possibly tweak the airfoil so that it has good scale appearance and performs within the general parameters of something like the E374 you suggest.

By the way, I did look at the E374 and it seems well suited to the task. Thank you for your suggestion. I'm considering increasing the camber aft of the cord's maximum thickness to achieve higher strength without loosing the general behaviour of what seems like a very nice airfoil for our purposes.

-Q.

Originally posted by JohnMac
Can I suggest Eppler 374. Its a well known glider section which is what a Wellington is, a powered glider. It will endow excellent performance and handling characteristics on the model whilst being thick enough to be strong. It is flat bottomed behind the spar for easy building. I would recommend a couple of degree geometric washout too, the model may have quite a high wing loading.
Regards,
JohnMac
Old 11-14-2004, 10:54 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Open" Design - Project 2 - Vickers Wellington - 1:17.2 Scale - version 1.0

so what ever happend with this project and if its not done is anyone interested in continueing it?