Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster Ep Flight times.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GP Super Sportster Ep Flight times.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Vendetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster Ep Flight times.

I was wondering what flight times you guys are gettign with the GP Super Sportster EP w/ the factory 550, ESC, and 2100mAh Bi-Cd. Thanks

BTW running 2 HS-81 and one HS-81MG.

Thanks and have a safe and happy new year !!
Old 04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
mred33

Default RE: GP Super Sportster Ep Flight times.

The model is under powered with the stock set-up and doesn't fly that good and only for 5 or 6 min. It is much better with either a brushless motor or golw engine in it. Going to glow is not hard and a 25 works great. Using a brushless motor, some people are getting 30 min out of it and is a very big improvement over the 550 set-up. Either set-up is not all that hard to do.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
LuckyArmpit

Default RE: GP Super Sportster Ep Flight times.

I also have the super sportster. The included 550 geared motor will barely fly this plane with the included 7 cell battery. I flew the plane twice, once with the 7 cell nicad and the other time
with an 8 cell 1800 nimh pack. The 8 cell was a bit better but not by much. I took this motor out and put in an eflite power 15 outrunner. Now we're talkin some power here!!!
With the brushless motor and 3S 2100 lipo pack, you will save around 10 ounces of weight and the plane will perform a million times better!!! Why screw around with can motors and gearboxes???
Too many points of failure. My sportster will fly evenly on only 1/3 throttle. No need to give it full throttle on take offs. The difference is like night and day.
If you do get one and put in a brushless, you will have to configure the mount/firewall to mount the outrunner since the included can motor uses a clam shell mount.
Its well worth the effort though and you'll fly circles around those who kept in the can motor.
I've been flying electric for a long time (I also fly glow/gas too) and will never go back to can motors. Once you go brushless, you'll never bother with can motors again.

Dave...