Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

not enough power for electric glider

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

not enough power for electric glider

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:38 AM
harro123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not enough power for electric glider

I have a Gentle Lady glider on which I have installed a brushed 600motor, a 7.2v 1800mah battery and a 30amp ESC. I am using a folding 8 x 4 prop. This set up at full charge (8.15v) drives the prop at 6200rpm. This is barely enough to keep the plane airborne let alone climb to a decent height. What looks wrong here??

harro
Old 01-01-2007, 05:21 AM
davej78

Default RE: not enough power for electric glider

Try adding a cell might make all the difference
Old 01-01-2007, 11:14 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Yes, try an 8.4 or possibly a 9.6 volt battery, you will get a lot more zip out of the motor
Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
tessmar

Harro
While some might disagree, my own experience, though limited, is that many so-called electric RTF or ARF packages include anemic motors and batteries. It kinda sucks you into thinking you can do something for less money than what actually will make for a useable product. Unfortunately at that point you no longer have the option of buying the plane as a kit or ARF WITHOUT motor and battery...so all you can do is upgrade one or both. Simply adding voltage MAY produce better results...but not necessarily. My electric (since parked for a fuel plane) was a Hobbico Superstar that also included a "600" brushed motor and 8.4v 2100MaH NiCD battery. While it might be a heavier plane than yours it would not stay up well enough or long enough for me to learn to fly. I added an 8.4v 3000 MaH NiMH...first one was defective. Replacement was not significantly better than the NiCD and actually was worse. Replaced the charger under warranty. No improvement. Choice:upgrade to LiPOs and a brushless motor (with, of course, a more powerful ESC), learn a lot more about electricity than I wanted to (I want to fly, not become an electrical expert) or switch to fuel. The LiPO upgrade and brushless would add more to my total cost than the total ARF package with radio. Instead I chose to switch to fuel, spent less money, got to solo, and never looked back.

I'm not rejecting electric, just cautioning that I personally did not know enough to go on, nor did anyone in my club (most fly only fuel), and with no disrespect to the others that have responded to you, I for one, am not positive their answers will NECESSARILY solve your problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6-cell batteries are a bad joke foisted on us!
A 7-cell will perk that thing right up!
Or, a 2-cell Lipo.. it's lighter as well.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 AM
harro123

thanks to all for the replies. I have changed the prop to an APC Slow Fly and have achieved an extra 150+ grams of thrust. If I upgrade to a 8.4v batteriy I think it will do the job.