Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Glueing points

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 AM
meddyliol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glueing points

Hi, when glueing the two halves of the EasyStar fuselage together, is it only necessary to glue the 'plug & hole' points or the complete length? I have never built one of these foam type planes before so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Gulliver

Default RE: Glueing points

I have built a couple of Easystars and think you should definitely glue the whole length of the fuse. It makes the whole structure a lot stronger.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
meddyliol

Thanks for that but doesn't it make it quite difficult to join the two halves together? I mean as soon as they touch that's it, no second chance if you get it wrong. That is what concerns me.

Brian
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Nate-RCU

Meddy,

As an alternative, you don't have to glue the halves together. You can do what alot of have done with incredible results..............use 3m double sided tape. simply cut the tape with your scissors about a quarter of an inch wide and stick to the same place you would glue. remove the backing and press the two halves together. It sticks like nothing I have ever seen. We all have brushlesss motors on ours now and believe me with the combat and obstacle courses we run with ours ....................It has never let go.

Make sure you clean the edges with some alcohol. and use the 3m tape that is thin not thick. it is clear or translucent.

Give it a go. It is not messy and allows you to seperate it if you want to change or upgrade your motor.

Nate
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Hatty

If you use a 30 minute epoxy, you will have a work time long enough to position your parts where you want it to be. You might as well make it as strong as you can now to prevent problems later.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
srserl

Like Nate said,

Use 3M double sided poster tape. I didn't even cut it narrower, just put it on one side, peel off the backing, then stick them together. Just trim any tape sticking out with a razor blade. Works great, but can be pryed apart (so I'm told) if you need to make any motor/esc changes.

Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
meddyliol

Thanks a lot to everyone. I have a lot of food for thought.

Cheers

Brian [&:]
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 AM
meddyliol

Hatty, the reason I haven't considered epoxy glue is that everywhere I read in the forums I am told to use CA glue only as epoxy does not work well with the Multiplex foam. I must confess that I would rather use epoxy because of the reasons you mention. Any further thoughts? [8D]

Cheers

brian
Old 01-25-2007, 06:25 PM
jdetray

Another way to use CA would be to secure the two fuselage halves together without glue, then apply thin CA along the joint. Thin CA will wick into the joint. You can spray accelerator (kicker) to instantly cure the CA.

Here is another thread on gluing Multiplex foam:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3747

- Jeff
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Nate-RCU

tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape ................................sigh.............. ....tape tape tape tape tape tape
tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape tape ................................sigh.............. ....tape tape tape tape tape tape

Did I say tape??????

Don't take my word for it......................just try it. I am guessing you'll like it

Nate

Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Ken6PPC

Where can I buy some thin double-sided 3M poster tape?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 PM
srserl

Ken,

I got my 3M poster tape at OfficeMax...or was it Staples...or maybe OfficceDepot. Craft stores like Michaels will also have it, or stationery stores.

Scott