Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to get started in electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

how to get started in electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 AM
borna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get started in electric

Hello all,
I have been flying RC Nitro planes for about 10 years.
Now I want to get into electric and have no idea what I need to get.
For example I'm interested in this plane
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pt19.htm

I know at the bottom of the link it lists all the components I need to fly this plane, but for example beside the brushless motor that they have listed, what other motor I can buy that in future I can place it into a larger plane?

Or the same with the ESC. Can I buy one that can operate much larger motor?
How about the battery?

Also I do have a Futaba radio, so can I just get a mini/micro receiver to operate with my Futaba?
What kind of receiver you guy have tried and liked?

Also I see that motor descriptions says, good for SPEED 400/480 size airplanes? What does this mean?

Thanks
Borna
Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: how to get started in electric

You need to do some homework to be successful with electrics. A good starting point is to go to http://www.ezonemag.com/ and then click on FAQ.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
ray foley

Default RE: how to get started in electric

I would go with the cc/Berg receivers check out the CC site www.castlecreations.com for info on the berg rcvrs.

A speed 400 motor is a can type brush motor that is made by Mabuchi and other mfgrs. Most rc flyers have used a 4oo class motor over the years. They are heavy, inefficient, electrically noisy and generally losing favor in the market. However they are inexpensive usually less tha $10US. which accounts for their popularity. Brushless motors are more expensive but have no brushes to wear out nor do they make a lot of rf noise. IMHO avoid the speed 400 brush motors. Get the brushless motor and your life will be easier.

ciao -rjf