Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

OK, I admit it - when it comes to electric planes, I'm DUUUMMMMM!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

OK, I admit it - when it comes to electric planes, I'm DUUUMMMMM!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Ken6PPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I admit it - when it comes to electric planes, I'm DUUUMMMMM!

I have never had an electric plane before, and I wanted an electric foamy. I chose this combination deal: [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2000COMBO]Tribute with Hacker Combo[/link] (seemed like a good buy to me), to be powered by a Thunder Power 3C 1320 mAh Lipo.

Since I don't know much of anything about electrics, I relied on the LHS to recommend an ESC for me. After I got it home, I noticed that the ESC says it is for a CAR! [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=CSEMMB25]Mamba 25 ESC[/link] Now, I know that I don't know much about this, but is this ESC a good choice for a plane?

The price seems a little high for a 25 amp ESC as well. Do you think I should I return this ESC? It hasn't been used yet, and I'm fairly certain I can return it. If so, what ESC should I buy?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

...Blue Skies!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 AM
jdetray

Default RE: OK, I admit it - when it comes to electric planes, I'm DUUUMMMMM!

Yes, the Mamba ESCs are for cars. Return it if you can, and you might want to take your business to a store where they know something about electric flight.

Castle Creations (makers of the Mambo) also make outstanding ESCs for planes. Their Phoenix-25 ESC would be a good choice if you want to stay with Castle Creations products. The price is $60-$70 depending on where you buy it.

Castle Creations are usually considered to be one of the top brands, but there are dozens of other makers of ESCs, with prices ranging from approximately $30-$70 for a 25 Amp ESC.

- Jeff
Old 01-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Lazyflier

Yes return that ESC and get one for a plane. The price for a car ESC is very much more than one for a plane. I don't know how the ESC for a car is set up but I would bet that it has features that a plane would not need and probably missing settings that a plane would need. Soft start, brake, no brake etc.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Hatty

ORIGINAL: Lazyflier

Yes return that ESC and get one for a plane. The price for a car ESC is very much more than one for a plane. I don't know how the ESC for a car is set up but I would bet that it has features that a plane would not need and probably missing settings that a plane would need. Soft start, brake, no brake etc.
And they are generally heavier and larger.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Ken6PPC

The LHS is going to get me an airplane ESC, and allow me to return this one.

Thanks for your help on this! ...Ken