Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 12:07 AM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

I'm an intermediate flyer....well sort of.

I currently fly a glow powered trainer and I love it. However, I'm looking for a smaller electric that I can take to the park on my lunch hour. My flying field is too far for a nooner.

I don't want a beginner's electric but I'm not ready for a top of the line screamer either. I want something that I can fly in a smaller area (like a park) but will give me the aerobatics comparable to a glow powered 2nd plane (i.e. Sig 4 star, Goldberg Tiger 2) with out the speed and size. I would also like something with controls similar to a glow RC plane; throttle, elevator, ailerons, & rudder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
CyberPilot
Old 02-07-2003, 12:15 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mini max, crazy max or sky scooter...Rog
Old 02-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

MiniMax and SkyScooter are steps sideways, at best. Neither is particularly good at aerobatics.

However, the CrazyMax is an EXCELLENT second airplane, and one of Wattage's best fly-it-stock-out-of-the-box designs. Most Wattage products require power system tweaks and such, but the Crazy Max flies great using recommended hardware.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Wright Flyer

Default Re: 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

Originally posted by CyberPilot
Any suggestions?
Switchback
Old 11-22-2003, 06:24 PM
sailerf2

Default RE: Re: 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

I would get the crazy max. It is very easy plane to put together and fly.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:05 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Re: 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

I have another suggestion to add to the list: The climax models wasp. I give more details and pics in my post in parkflyers, but this is a small, aerobatic GWS IPS powered profile plane using a/e/t control. Its available from climax or parkflyermotors. It can easily be modified to add a rudder but I didn't bother. Frame up takes about two nights if you take your time, and another night or two for electronics installation, covering, and painting. When I flew mine yesterday at the club field, it garnered quite a bit of attention. Most of the glow guys have been unimpressed by the electrics that show up at the field, but I heard a few good quotes, including: "man, I can't believe how good that l'il black and white (it's actually green and white) thing flies!" and "it flies like a REAL plane!". This came about after two ten minute sessions of zipping around the sky and doing basic aerobatics (loops and rolls). I assure that the pilot had no positive effect on the percieved performance--I'm a bit of a hack. Anyhow, just wanted to give you another option to consider.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Defranci

Default RE: 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

I'll second the switchback. Start with the sport wing and a wing change is all you need to go into advanced aerobatics.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/
Old 12-04-2003, 05:37 PM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: 2nd or 3rd plane recommendations?

you want a zagi with a brushless upgrade(mega 16/15/3 w/ 5.7x3 apc prop). you will never fly that gas trainer again guaranteed. with this plane you can soar 500-1000 feet up and sail the winds, or flip, roll, invert, what ever. that plane is crash resistant, crashed my first one 30-40 times. lands at a slow glide, takes off by grabbing the nose pulling full throttle and toss up at a 45 degree angle. flight times with a 8 cell nicd 7-15min normal. just remember to set you cg a balance correctly, do it you won't regret it