Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Receiver wiring convention?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:40 AM
nk1851
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver wiring convention?

I have a 6 channel Corona receiver and will be using a Futaba transmitter. I assume I plug the BEC into channel 6 of the receiver? Which channels do I use for Aleirons, Rudder, Elevator, etc?
Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Receiver wiring convention?

Assume nothing!!

The channels you will use will depend on the specific transmitter as the Tx sets the output ports. There is not necessarily a standard configuration within Tx brands either. As an example, I have a Futaba 12Z and the default channel assignments depend on the model/wing type selected.

On my electrics, the BEC/ESC goes to the throttle channel.

Dan
Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 AM
jdetray

Hi Nick -

While fancy programmable transmitters allow channels to be re-assigned, the most common channel assignments for R/C planes in the United States are as follows.

Channel 1: Ailerons
Channel 2: Elevator
Channel 3: Throttle
Channel 4: Rudder

This is known as Mode II, and most transmitters sold in the U.S. are Mode II. A different channel arrangement, Mode I, is used in other parts of the world but is not common in the U.S.

So your ESC (speed controller) most probably plugs into Channel 3. If you have a separate BEC -- that is, you are not using the BEC built into the ESC -- the separate BEC can plug into any unused channel.

- Jeff
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Gary Hoorn

Nick,
Depends on what model of Futaba transmitter you have. Most of the 4 - 7 channel Futaba transmitters have the following lineup with your receiver:

Channel 1 Aileron
Channel 2 Elevator
Channel 3 Throttle
Channel 4 Rudder
Channel 5 Aux/Gyro
Channel 6 Gear/Pitch

Depends on if you are in Heli or Plane Mode. If you are using an electric speed control with BEC it plugs into channel 3. If using a separate BEC be sure and disable the built-in BEC of the speed control if one is present. The BEC can be plugged into any available port observing polarity of course.
Gary
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
pakklk
My Feedback: (1)

I am on my first Electric plane. It is a Sopwith Camel Hanger 9. ESC is an Quark Airmaster 65A. How do I know if there is a BEC? Do I need to have a seperate reciever battery? Will it fly after the motor cuts off? As you can tell I am new at this.

pakklk
Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: pakklk

I am on my first Electric plane. It is a Sopwith Camel Hanger 9. ESC is an Quark Airmaster 65A. How do I know if there is a BEC? Do I need to have a seperate reciever battery? Will it fly after the motor cuts off? As you can tell I am new at this.
Hello Pakkik -

Didn't you receive instructions or specifications with your ESC? If not, here they are:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...125_manual.doc

Your ESC has a BEC, rated at 5V and 3A. So you do not necessarily need a separate receiver battery as long as 3A is sufficient for the servos you will be using and you are using a 4S lipo or smaller battery. However, you may wish to use a separate receiver battery for extra reliability.

The ESC has a low voltage cutoff (LVC), which for this ESC can be either automatically or manually set. When the battery voltage drops below the LVC, power to the motor is cut off, but the receiver and servos continue to receive power through the BEC. This allows the control surfaces to keep functioning even though the motor is no longer running -- hopefully giving you a chance to land the plane safely. To avoid such dead stick landings, do not fly until LVC occurs.

If you use a separate receiver battery, you would disable the BEC in the ESC.

Please note: I have never owned or used this ESC. I merely read the instructions!

- Jeff
Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
pakklk
My Feedback: (1)

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I will make some short flights and then run the batteries down with the plane on th ground. This should tell me how the servos and BEC will act. The instructions make more sense now.

Thanks,

Bennett