Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Ailerons for a RC Rascal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 12:50 PM
thunderstreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons for a RC Rascal

Hello,
It's good to be back.
Has anyone put ailerons on a RC Rascal?
I have a kit that I am getting ready to start building, and I am looking for sucess stories or failure stories.
Thanks,
It's great to have this site up to speed again, I too got frustrated and bailed.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:28 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons for a RC Rascal

Just from looking at the structure visible in the advertisements... it won't be the easiest job you'll ever do. It shouldn't be impossible... just not for someone who doesn't have prior experience making modifications to kits.

The eliptical planform wing makes any aileron setup more difficult, and that looks like a thin wing, so you'll either be running torque rods for a sort-of strip style... or bellcranks, or having a lot of servo sticking out, even laying the servo on its side.

The planform is very similar to tbe Aug 1940 Model Airplane News design "The Answer" (which had an even thinner wing at 1/4 inch thickness and a serious underchamber.) The whole design is similar in size and appearance... with the Rascal being a bit sturdier. So my experince R/C converting that should be appropriate.

What I chose to do to put in alierons was to have a modified strip, starting 2 inches out from the fuselage, with 1 inch aileron chord at that point and going to appx 4 inches from the tip, with 1/4 inch aileron chord at that point. Straight line connecting the hinge line, I have 1.5 inch max aileron chord. I reduced the FF design's dihedral from (if memory serves... I know I reduced dihedral by more than 1/2) 3 inches under each tip to 1 inch under each tip. The ailerons produced severe adverse yaw... so differential throw (which I'd never heard of back then...) should be helpful.

The adverse yaw was the only problem really noted with the ailerons... and it was mainly annoying because I hadn't made the rudder large enough to easilly compensate at low speeds.