Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

power for beginner cub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
db1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power for beginner cub?

Im interested in setting up a J3 cub and was just wondering if the power plant I have available will be enough to power the eflite 25 version.
The motor I have is a 275 watt 1050kv brushless outrunner with 30 amp bec esc. I'll most likely be using Nimh as the batts. Based on the specs, I should be getting roughly

65 watts/lb

Does anyone think this thing will take off. I'm an inexperienced novice not looking for speed just regular cub like performance. I'm getting zero response in the other forums.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=4368

http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...roducts_id=421

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
jzrf6c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power for beginner cub?

I see from the link that the Cub should weigh in at about 4 - 4.25 lbs with Nimh. If so then you may be in for a surprise. I've found the motor ESC combos that vendor sell are not necessarily suited for the plane. The general rule is you need 100watts per pound for acceptable flying. But, what is acceptable to me is not acceptable to the next guy. Also, remeber that the specs given are general and not alway on the top end. So, I'd say sinse Eflite say the combo you have should work - give it a try. You can alway replace the Nimh with LiPos and get better weight ratio. But, like Tim Allen always says "More power" is alway better!

Hope this helps somewhat.