Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Charging the NiMH on-board the transmitter using a Philips 1.5v AC ......

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Charging the NiMH on-board the transmitter using a Philips 1.5v AC ......

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 AM
AGR26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging the NiMH on-board the transmitter using a Philips 1.5v AC ......

..........Adapter question... The Hi-Tec Transmitter that came with my Easy Star RTF is a hassle to access to add batteries. So; since I use Eveready 2500MAh NiMH batteries (1.2Volt), I bought a Philips AC Adapter. It only steps down to 1.5Vs, however. Is this okay? I'm thinking it is. But; I wanted to check before I go plugging anything in!

It would seem the adapter would need to be set on 9V, I guess; since the total voltage of all 8 batteries is 9.6V.

Thanks

- Greg
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Charging the NiMH on-board the transmitter using a Philips 1.5v AC ......

Hi Greg -

An "AC adapter" (by which I assume you mean a wall-wart type power supply) isn't a charger. It's a power supply. These are two different things.

Maybe there is a safe way to use the power supply as a charger, in which case I hope someone will respond with that information.

- Jeff
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
AGR26

Default RE: Charging the NiMH on-board the transmitter using a Philips 1.5v AC ......

ORIGINAL: jdetray

Hi Greg -

An "AC adapter" (by which I assume you mean a wall-wart type power supply) isn't a charger. It's a power supply. These are two different things.

Maybe there is a safe way to use the power supply as a charger, in which case I hope someone will respond with that information.

- Jeff

Jeff:
Exactly! Ha!! I should have noticed that! [] Back to Wal-Mart! Thanks for bringing that to light! Think, I will call Radio Shack!

..... it should be simpler than this. Radio Shack has nothing to offer.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That wall wart would've worked if you wanted to take the batteries out and charge them one at a time

When you put the batteries into the transmitter, they get connected in series, meaning their voltages add up: 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 = 9.6 Volts.

That's nominal, though. You actually need to provide a voltage somewhat higher than that in order to charge the batteries. Like water flows only downhill, electricity only flows from higher voltage to lower.

This is the device you need: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN748&P=7 It will charge your transmitter pack in approximately 16 hours. That's about as fast as you want to go using a "wall wart" type charger. To charge faster, you really want a peak-detect type charger.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
tcarp

So if he sets the Wal-Dart Adaptor to 9.6 v it would charge the batteries in the transmitter right? What would the difference be between an adaptor and a charger? Voltage is voltage I would figure..
Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 AM
AGR26

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

That wall wart would've worked if you wanted to take the batteries out and charge them one at a time

When you put the batteries into the transmitter, they get connected in series, meaning their voltages add up: 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 + 1.2 = 9.6 Volts.

That's nominal, though. You actually need to provide a voltage somewhat higher than that in order to charge the batteries. Like water flows only downhill, electricity only flows from higher voltage to lower.

This is the device you need: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN748&P=7 It will charge your transmitter pack in approximately 16 hours. That's about as fast as you want to go using a "wall wart" type charger. To charge faster, you really want a peak-detect type charger.

Ordered! Let's put this topic to rest! Thanks Matt!! It appears, however, that it only charges Ni-Cds. Ooops! 'Guess, I need to get some Ni-Cds. Damn! Isn't anything easy? [>:]
Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 AM
AGR26

ORIGINAL: tcarp

So if he sets the Wal-Dart Adaptor to 9.6 v it would charge the batteries in the transmitter right? What would the difference be between an adaptor and a charger? Voltage is voltage I would figure..
An Adapter 'Adapts'. A Charger 'Charges'. And, that's that!