Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Spektrum DX6 Range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
01SCSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6 Range?

Does anybody really know the range of the DX6. How limited is it? Wanna pick one up but should I just spring for the DX7. My biggest plane is only a 47" Yak.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DX6 Range?

No one has ever reported flying a DX-6 system out of visual range.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I use a Spektrum DX6. I fly at a local private airfield that is 2,800 feet long. Our flying area is about 1/2 up the runway. That is, I can fly about 1,400 feet on either side. I had a friend operate the Spektrum DX6 while I drove to the end of the runway with my airplane and it could still be properly controlled even though it was close to the ground. Range would be better if the airplane was flying since there is always some loss due to ground effect (so I'm told).

With a 47" wing span, I don't think you will have any problems at all.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 PM
01SCSS

Thank you both. Cheers -Zach
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
gillesfireagle

I have been using the DX6 in three wet planes since Feb06. Both planes are in the 900 sq in wing area class. I also use the DX6 in three radio-controlled free-flight nostalgia models that have gotten in the out-of-sight range while still in control.

In addition, I tested the two receivers I have in our 600 yard rifle range here in FL and there was never any fail-safe up to 700 yards. I even went behind our 1/4 inch armor plate berm and I still had control.

Caveat: My Spectrum works best on 6v. It will fail-safe even at living room range when the 4.8v gets down to the lower white range in my Voltwatches. There are several DX6 features I am not happy with, but this note is on range.

Conclusion: Range the DX6 has in spades. I see the DX7's advantage to be in the advanced electronics, and reaction speed. For most of us, however, I consider the DX6 system perfectly suitable for most applications.

I fly here in Palm Bay, Florida and the Spectrum is slowly taking over.

Gilles Fireagle