Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric setup and charging.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric setup and charging.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Ofnsve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric setup and charging.

I have a Triton2 charger, cell balancer and thermal probe.
I have an E-Flite Byp Yak and these accessories:
[link=http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/eflite/eflite_brushless/EFLM1200.html]This motor.[/link]
[link=http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/search/CSEPHX10L.html]This ESC.[/link]
[link=http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/search/THP4803SJPL.html]These batteries.[/link]

Umm... Not to sound like an idiot or a complete newbie(but really I am when it comes to putting this together. The electrics that is.), how do I get this together for one thing. I understand that I have to solder the ESC to the motor or can I get ends like on the motor? And if I can why didn't they give(sell) them to me when I bought the 'completion' package?

Second question is how in the heck do I charge those batteries with my charger? I see nowhere where I can plug that end in to the charger or the balancer. Do I have to buy another wire for that as well?

The build seemed to be going good and then I thought I should charge up my brand new Spektrum DX6 and then I started to reallly look at the electrics which I would like to install into my plane in the next day or so. But alas now I am at a loss and am a little diappointed that it seems that I need proprietary connectors for everything.

So if anyone could let me know just what it is that I need and where I can purchase said items, or if I am doing anything wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to all who reply in advance,

Blain.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Electric setup and charging.

1. You don't have to solder the wires from the ESC to the motor, as you mentioned, just get the matching connectors. You should have received male and female gold bullet connectors with that motor. They come in the box, just solder those onto the ESC.

2. The Triton 2 is a good charger, you will also need the Thunder Power adapter to be able to charge them.

Welcome to the world of electric RC Everything needs some little special connector. And one brands never works with the other
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Ofnsve

fliprob17, thanks so much for the concise information. I went and looked at the motor and sure enough in one of the parts bags there were the gold bullet connectors. I just wouldn't have known what they were if you hadn't of told me.

As for that Thunder Power adapter, do you know where I would be able to get one? I've searched my Canadian suppliers' website and can't find anything like that. In fact I can't find what you mean on the Tower Hobbies site either. Man this is getting frustrating. I just want to finish my build...

Thx.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Fliprob17

I hear you, everyone goes through this ordeal once, then you learn to really read and go through everything and get all the little required parts and do your homework so you don't have to go through it again

On the charger, it looks like you need a separate power supply for that? Did you get one? From what I have read, it does not have a wall plug, it needs a 11-15 volt power supply that will allow for banana plugs or alligator clips.

On the charge connector, it looks like that charger has banana plug output as well, you will need to solder on a Deans Ultra female connector to your battery, then get the "Charge Lead Banana Plugs to Deans Male Ultra" connector on this website http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...onnectors.html

The Stock Number is GPMM3148 - I think that should do it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Ofnsve

Well the frustration factor just rose a few degrees.
I did buy a 12V motorcycle battery to use as a power supply. I did go that far. But really, how is one to know that you have to solder all those ends on all that stuff?
Here's a couple of pics of what I have so far. Man am I confused on what I need to do where.

Really appreciate the help though, fliprob17. It's been an eye opener. I know that learning now will help me in my future endeavours as I know that I will keep buying, building and flying. There is such a learning curve from nitro to electric that I wasn't aware of, that's for sure. And I know that the planes that I am interested in do not all come in RTF form either. Plus I do like to build sometimes. Makes these stormy nights go faster without wasting my time in front of the tv.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64571.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	657217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17505.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	657218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55272.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	657219  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Fliprob17

I take it that the connector that is on the battery now will not fit into the Equinox Balancer end that says 3S?

I noticed that the battery you have does not have a balancing tap on it, but they sold you a balancer? I didn't think you could balance a battery through the discharge/charge leads alone (main black and red wires)?

My setup is a bit different, and all of my Thunder Power batteries have balancer taps, 4-5 smaller wires with a little black plug.

To me, it does not look like you are setup to charge that battery, it won't hook-up to that balancer plug.

Name:	Jh16454.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	657564  
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Ofnsve

No...that connector won't fit into the 3S. It came with a 2S too, but this is a 3 cell lipo.

Balancing tap huh? Never heard of that. I bought the battery and charger/balancer/thermal probe separately.

No, the batter won't hook up to anything at this point. Therein lies the problem...lol.

And to think I thought I could just order a wire or something to fix this...

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
CitaFly

I do not have a Triton so I can't speak firsthand, but it looks like it's set up to charge through the balance plug. The Lipo you have does not have one, but I believe the leads that go into the Triton can be removed - they're just banana plugs. If so, then go to Radio Shack, buy the same plugs and wire them up so that one ends plugs into the Triton and the other end terminates with a female JST plug.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Fliprob17

That website link I gave you before for Great Planes has a charge lead connector that has the banana plugs on one end and the matching connector for your battery instead of the Deans Ultra. But the battery and your ESC need to match. Which connector is on your ESC? If there isn't one yet, I would recommend going with the Deans Ultra and getting the stuff I mentioned before.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Ofnsve

Sorry for all the questions guys. And thank you for your patience. I really think that I am learning something. Maybe slowly but it is sinking in. Hard to do this when there is no-one in the know that I know in person.

I can just unplug the balancer for now and get the ends that you recommended. As in banana plugs to the one the connector on the battery. But then I would have to get the same end for the ESC too you are saying. Or change the ends to Deans Ultra? As in cut the connector off the battery and replace it with the Deans Ultra ends?

I've taken some more pics. My ESC ends and then I layed them out as they will be hooked up eventually when I get this stuff figured out. Let me know if I am right.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Blain

Name:	Da83535.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	657720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29542.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	657721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98289.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	657722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25138.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	657723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92625.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	657724  
Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Fliprob17

Honestly, if it were me, I would have everything be Deans Ultra plugs. So you would put the male plug onto the ESC black and red wires that go to the battery, like the way you have it. Then cut off the connector that is on your battery now, and put a female on that. BE CAREFUL WHEN CUTTING THE BATTERY WIRES, cut one at a time and solder it to the new connector, then shrink wrap it up, then do the other wire, also always do the positive wire first. You DO NOT want to cut both wires at the same time, or have them both exposed at the same time, that could lead to a battery short and the pack may ignite. Also, be 100% sure that you are matching positive wires to positive posts on the connector, and same with negative otherwise the pack will short.

After that, all you need is that little charge adapter I linked before and you should be good.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Fliprob17

Looks like you have the general idea with the layout.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Ofnsve

Ok. I think I know now. I basically need to get 3 ends then.

1. For replacement of the battery end - Deans Ultra Female.
2. For ESC - Deans Ultra Male.
3. For charger - Banana Plugs to Deans Male.

I'll worry about the balancer later. And if what you say is correct then these batteries aren't meant to be balanced anyways for some reason.

Am I right about this?

Where might I purchase said accessories online? Or would Radio Shack or some other local shop carry plugs like those on that website you gave me?

Blain
Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: Ofnsve

Ok. I think I know now. I basically need to get 3 ends then.

1. For replacement of the battery end - Deans Ultra Female.
2. For ESC - Deans Ultra Male.
3. For charger - Banana Plugs to Deans Male.

I'll worry about the balancer later. And if what you say is correct then these batteries aren't meant to be balanced anyways for some reason.

Am I right about this?

Where might I purchase said accessories online? Or would Radio Shack or some other local shop carry plugs like those on that website you gave me?

Blain
You got it Your LHS should have the Deans plugs. But you can get it all from Tower Hobbies if you want - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNCU4&P=M - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX39&P=M

Good luck Just be sure/careful when taking off the old battery connector and putting the new one on. Also, be sure you do not exceed the recommended charge rate for those batteries - should be 480 mah or 0.480 amps.

Unless there is some way that I am not aware of, the battery has to have a balancing tap with a balancing plug in order to be balanced. So batteries that just have the two main charge/discharge leads, and no balancing tap, cannot be balanced.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Ofnsve

Done. Ordered the parts from Great Hobbies though, as they are in Canada. And with express post, they will be here by the end of next week hopefully.

Then to get them all soldered up.

Thanks again for all your help. I don't think that I would have been able to figure it all out without your help.

Guess the balancer was a frivolous buy at this point. Oh well, I'm sure that in the future I will have need of it.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a rocking chair by the door to sit in until my parts get here....

Blain