Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

M100 does it need a diode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 01:17 AM
woodduck-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M100 does it need a diode?

I just purchased a M100 motor for my Tigeg Moth and noticed there is no diode soldered on the end. Do I need it? Can the diodeds be purchased at Radio shack?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 AM
john 8750

I have not heard of a diode on any motor. What is it needed for?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:45 AM
woodduck-RCU

They and / or capacitors are used I believe to suppress noise and interference to the receiver.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:48 PM
john 8750

Thanks Woodduck, thant makes sence. Regards and happy flights.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:40 AM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

Whether a motor needs a diode or not depends mostly on the ESC that is used. Many ESCs have the diode built in already. Some come with a separate diode for you to put on the motor. Sometimes larger high amp motors may need a diode because it would be too big to fit on the ESC. Odds are a tiny motor like your M100 doesn't need a diode, but you should consult the ESC instrucions in this regard.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:38 AM
Tippie

The C-30 ESC I got from Great Planes had a diode and 3 capacitors with it. The diode was a SK-506, so noted on the diode. I checked google and came up with it being a 5 amp schottky barrier rectifier. The purpose is to quiet the motor noise and make the ESC "slightly more efficent" and "reduce the ESC's operating temperature". Needs to be installed across the motor terminals with the "Bar" (anode) soldered to the + (positive) terminal, other end to the - (negative). As I recall it prevents back EMF to the ESC. You might do a search elsewhere on the web. I could tell you where to look but if I did the moderator said he would have to shoot me. Been there, did that. OOPs, had a reference to a zener diode, my mistake, removed it so there is no confusion.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:51 AM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

A Schottky diode is NOT the same as a zener diode. Do NOT install a zener diode across your motor terminals. If you do, the result will likely be a fried speed controller.

The unique characteristic of a Schottky diode is that it has a very low forward voltage drop (conducts in the forward biased mode at lower voltage) compared to common silicon diodes. This makes it more efficient.

A zener diode (which you don't want to use) has the characteristic that, in addition to conducting in the forward biased state as a normal diode, it also conducts easily in the reverse biased direction above a specific voltage threshold. They are typically used as voltage regulators.