Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Altitude records?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 AM
N413NT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altitude records?

Does anyone know where i could find some info on what the current altitude records are for electric planes? ANd does anyone have an altimeter in their aircraft. What kind of results are you getting? Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: Altitude records?

Most of the records should be recorded by FAI I think: http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/

I have an altimeter device in my planes on appr 2/3 of the flights. This is the part of my flights which is by sailplanes. I nearly never use any device onboard my normal electric planes, except for the first flights. On the first flights I do a recording of the climb-ability of the motor-setup just to have something to compare agaings when tweaking... how long does it take (in seconds) to reach 200 meter from level flight.

For recording climb-ability and also height for DLG-throws and bungee I use the RAM2. Small enough to suit in everywhere.
For my large sailplanes I have the Picolario onboard because when thermalling at high altitudes it is impossible to "read" the model reacting to thermals. The Picolario have an onboard sensor and a transmitter which sends all dataes to a receiver in my pocket. I get height/climb/sink/batteryvoltage and interference-warnings in realtime to my ear. The Picolario will get an GPS-upgrade soon. Then also speed and position could be sent.

On nice days with good thermals we often catch a bubble low (200 meter) and could follow this up to 1200 meter (4000ft) before we have to let go. This is because even the larger sailplanes become difficult to see at these heights... But catching thermals is the very best part of model airplane fun!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: Altitude records?

The record for gain in altitude for electric aircrafts with rechargeable source is 3218meters I think...