Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Looking to move up ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
snowman333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to move up ?

HI Guys,

I've been flying the HZ Super cub and I'm ready to move up . I want to get the E-Flight J-3 Piper cub 25 W/ 62" span or the Piper J-3 cub 40 with the 80 " span but don't know witch one to get ?With the size difference do they fly any different ? Does the larger Cub require more space for landing & take off ? Or is the difference the price only ?
I haven't flown anything with aileron's so I was wondering if you could turn off the ailerons and fly it with Rudder only until a guy got the a feel for the plane , and then slowly add in aileron a little at a time ? Or could a guy fly it with just alerons and not worry to much about Rudder ? I was thinking that it would fly somewhat close to the same way that the HZ super cub would fly by turning off the ailerons that way I could get used to the plane a little bit . What do you guy's think ?I'm really new at this so any help & suggestion is really appritiated .

Thanks a bunch
Al
Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Looking to move up ?

The 62" J-3 Cub would probably be a good next step, logically. But you are looking at jumping into a different size/scale of aircraft, which means bigger motors, bigger batteries, bigger ESC's, and most importantly......bigger $$$

You are definitely going to need more space moving up to a 62" wingspan. So that may be something to consider as far as having places to fly. You could find some sort of way to disable the ailerons if you wanted to, but honestly, if you go easy the first few times out, I think you will find it much easier to control the plane with the ailerons operational. You really don't even need to use the rudder unless you are performing aerobatics/tricks.

If you want to stay in a similar size/scale of aircraft, and be able to fly at local parks, etc, I would look at the Cessna 182 http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2200 That would be the logical jump up in a similar wingspan. Now if you want to push it a little, go with the Mini Pulse XT http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2375 It has different characteristics, being a low-wing setup, but is really docile if you take it easy. It would be a bit of a jump, but it's flight characteristics make it a good jump up for a beginner looking to let loose
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 PM
snowman333

fliprob17 , What do ya think about this Hobbico ElectriStar RTF ? Its on sale right now for $ 299.00 . What about the Radio that it comes with , how many other planes would you be able to fly with this radio ? How does the plane fly ? Does it have a lot of power ?

http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa12.html
Al
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Fliprob17

That's not a bad deal. That is a decent Radio, Futaba makes good stuff, I have the 6EX version, it should have a 6 model memory. Again, it is in the larger class, so if you want to use the batteries you buy for that plane with other planes, they will need to be of similar weight and scale.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
cwharper

There's been a lot of discussion of the Electristar in the review thread that Greg Covey started. This plane needs a lot of open space, a football field will not be enough space. It is my opinion that this plane is a good plane for someone who is looking to jump into the hobby like I did. It flies very smooth and slow enough for a decent amount of reaction and/or correction time.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
snowman333

If I decided to buy that electrastar what other types of airplanes could I fly with the Futaba radio that comes with it ? Would that radio fly say the J-3 piper cub ? And you say I could fly 6 different airplanes with that radio ? I have a large area to fly at my home as I live in the country in Washington State, thats why I would like to get a larger scale plane . I really want the J-3 cub but thats a lot of money and I could get the Electricstar for a lot less and its the same size !! I wonder what the difference would be in the way they fly ??
Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Fliprob17

The radio it comes with is a 4 channel, so you could fly anything that requires up to 4 channels. Yes, you can fly 6 different airplanes, it has a "Model Memory" for all of the settings for each plane.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
cwharper

I have the Futaba 4exa which comes with the Electristar and it only has memory for 4 models. But it has 4 channels so it will control anything that uses four channels, i.e. ailerons, rudder, throttle, elevator
Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 PM
snowman333

4 airplanes is more than I will ever have at one time anyway . I think I will get the Electrastar and see how it goes with it then maybe latter on down the line get the J-3 cub 25 , or mabe even the Hanger 40 cub . But for right now that Electrastar seems like a heck of a deal , I mean you get a good radio , brushless moter , lipo batterie , and a wood 63" span airplane for $ 300.00 .That's seems like a good deal to me, So what if they call it a trainer and it holds the wing on with rubberbands . I think it will be a good flyer and steping stone to the next airplane .
Thanks for all your guys Help I do appritiate it !!
Al
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
cwharper

Batteries and charger for plane are not included. The lipo batteries will cost $160 extra. I would start with the nimh batteries at $50 for a pair. You'll also need some extra #64 rubber bands(postal size) and some CA glue. For chargers I have and like the triton2, it's expensive but will grow with you, plus it will charge many types and sizes of batteries with appropriate adapters.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:40 PM
snowman333

What about gas engines ?? Have you ever tried any of the gas powered airplanes ? what are they like ? What are the pro's and con's of the gas engine ? I suppose they are messy , and loud ? But you don't have to buy batteries . How long can you fly with a full tank of fuel ??
Old 05-05-2007, 05:38 AM
drksky1056

4 airplanes is more than I will ever have at one time anyway .
You just gave everyone on this site a good chuckle with that line.

When you say gas in the size plane you're talking about, you're talking glow-powered. Glow is a good way to go, but it has it's own set of challenges as well as specialized equipment. If you get a glow powered plane, you'll need a glow ignitor, fuel pump, starter (if you don't want to flip start it) and of course fuel...and glow fuel isn't getting any cheaper. I think it's going for $15-20/gallon, depending on where you are. And you still need batteries to power the servos and receiver. They're not quite as expensive as flight packs, but they're not cheap either.

And yes...glow can be messy. The spit oil out the muffler when they run, so end-of-day cleanup is a must. Glow planes must also be fuel-proofed at the firewall and inside the tank compartment. Some people swear by them, but I prefer electric for 40ish-sized planes. In fact, I've got two electrics that are in the 36-48" span range and up from that, I have an 82" gasser. That is, 2-cycle gasoline, like a weed eater. Not as clean and quiet as electric, but just as noisy as glow, even more so, and not nearly as messy.

Lipo power is a good way to go, as long as you've read all you can about the safety precautions concerning handling, charging (they need a special charger, but the Triton mentioned above is capable) and discharging. Planes that require a 3-cell, 2100mAh lipo pack seems to be a sweet spot for electrics that fly like big planes, but just aren't as big.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 AM
snowman333

Oh!! BOY !!!! What have I done now !!!! *** ............. I was supposed to go golfing today like every Friday but forgot my golf shoes . Didn't have time to go back and get them so decided this would be a good day to go to the Hobby shop down in Jansen beach. I have wanted to go down there for a long time and check out all the airplanes & stuff in real life .
Ya ! You guessed it I bit the bullet !! $950.00 worth . I bought the Hanger J-3 40 Cub and all the assessorys to go with it . Couldn’t help myself ( I’ve been bitten by the bug bad ). This one has the electric motor & I went ahead and bought the lipo battery to go with it . The battery didn’t have any instructions with it so what do I need to watch out for ? The guy in the shop said that you don’t want to run them completely all the way down but that was about all he said about them. I also got the Spectrum 6 channel radio seems looks like a really good one it was $199.00
Should never have to buy another radio , it will fly choppers also .
Not looking forward to putting this thing together though looks like it has a lot of little stuff thats going to be time consuming .And some of the things I don’t understand but I guess I’ll figure them out . I might get into it after I get started on it , besides It will be good for me to put one together so I can learn more about how they work . Can’t wait to fly it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!