Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Depron blue foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
vince-uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depron blue foam

Hi all could do with some help big time . ive got a plan from Electric flight MW2846 Avro Lancaster designed by rob hemmings,
the plan is 1805mm 71" span for 4 speed 400 and 8 cells. my problem is that im a bit new to all this but i would like to have a go at this problem 1, the body is in depron block but i can only get it in 900 X 400 X 6mm sheets dose anyone know where i can get it from in the uk or get it posted to me , ive been to B&Q hobby shop and some other places but no joy [][]
Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: Depron blue foam

try [link=http://www.depronusa.com/]here[/link]
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
vince-uk

thanks 3DSAVAGE but i need about a 6" x 4 feet block i can get the sheets but the plan dosent do it in sheets its in a block
but thanks for the webpage
Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Woodsy

ORIGINAL: vince-uk

thanks 3DSAVAGE but i need about a 6" x 4 feet block i can get the sheets but the plan dosent do it in sheets its in a block
but thanks for the webpage
Are you SURE??? Depron is a trade name for 1 brand of EXPS, the company that makes Depron does NOT make it in block form as far as i am aware.
Also EXPS in block form would NOT be particularly light compared to other foams available, it's also a **** product to try and carve/shape compared to other types of foam.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 PM
vince-uk

hi Woodsy like i said im very new to all this and any help i can get i would be very greatfull. so if not depron what could i use in a block foam ? i need a foam that i can sand smooth , i had some old packing foam but you carnt sand it , it's gose ruff. the plan i have dosent tell you a lot many thanks m8
Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Timo.

ORIGINAL: vince-uk

Hi all could do with some help big time . ive got a plan from Electric flight MW2846 Avro Lancaster designed by rob hemmings,
the plan is 1805mm 71" span for 4 speed 400 and 8 cells. my problem is that im a bit new to all this but i would like to have a go at this problem 1, the body is in depron block but i can only get it in 900 X 400 X 6mm sheets dose anyone know where i can get it from in the uk or get it posted to me , ive been to B&Q hobby shop and some other places but no joy [][]
Did you ever build this model??

I've just got a copy of it. Its a bit too big for what I want.

Cheers

T.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use dock flotation billots. This is blue foam about 8 in. thick 3 ft wide and 6 ft. long. Carves like soft balsa and hot wires very well.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
vince-uk

hi flypaper2 thanks for that ill know next time
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
vince-uk

timo yes i did have a go at it and to be onest with you it could have been a lot better its still in the shed waiting for me to finish it off , i think next time im going to do it in all b/wood and ply many thanks to all
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Vince, I don't know if they carry it in the UK, but we use pink insulation sheets also over here. Ususally at least 1" thick and sheets are approx 4 x8' or 5x10' Cut planks out of them and glue em together to make the block size you need. Hot wires nice, and sands easily.

Have a chum at the moment building an A-26, 120 scale right now from it. And I'll be honest he went a different route on his. Instead of making the main fuselage from horizontal planks of foam, he did his with vertical planks/blocks, kinda like a loaf of bread.

Might actually be stronger that way.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM
vince-uk

i couldent tell you what thay have over here i found it very hard to get what i wonted so in the end i used white, that thay use in packing .
i wont to go in to spits or lancs but thay have to be in wood i dont like the foam planes anyway thanks for the info ill keep it in mined