Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

small field plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Nwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small field plane

I've got a large backyard with an area of about 50x50 yards. I'm wanting to be able to fly some stuff there as it's hard to find time to go to a real field....I've got some cheap back yard stuff but i'm looking for something that is more realistic in the control surfaces and I guess just the general control method that bigger ones have. Also I'd like to be able to do some basic stunts-loops, rolls, ect.... Also, it would be great to find a reasonable price!!!!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: small field plane

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1680901
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V440548
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...64&pid=V358687

The above are 3 expamples of planes that would fly nice in your back yard. Hope this helps..
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
next champ

try some thing like the parkzone typhoon or slo-v, although the typhoon may be to fast but I think the slo-v would work
Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Nwerdna

ok, after looking about some more I've decided to get some kind of 4ch plane that includes every thing needed to fly-controler, charger, servos, ect... I'd still like to get something that can do some rolls, loops, maybe inverted....but i don't know if i could do that in my 50x50yard area! Any ideas for planes like i've described would be great-i'm hoping I could get something under $150.

thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Nwerdna

hmm...think I could fly the Dragon Wing from hobby lobby in a 50x50yard area?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
r/cmark42

when you are on the hobby-lobby site, check out the super zoom... great plane that can easily handle that small of an areea
Old 07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Sir Raleigh

I don't think so, not as a beginner, anyway.

I have a Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom with a 30" wing span and the recommended flying area is 600' x 600' which is 16 times bigger that the area you have.

50 yards x 50 yards = 150 feet x 150 feet = 22,500 square feet = about 1/2 acre.
600 feet x 600 feet = 360,000 square feet = about 8 1/4 acres.

That 1/2 acre is starting to look awful small.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
r/cmark42

Nwerda, you a begginer? If so Sir R is right on..
Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM
feihu

ORIGINAL: Nwerdna

ok, after looking about some more I've decided to get some kind of 4ch plane that includes every thing needed to fly-controler, charger, servos, ect... I'd still like to get something that can do some rolls, loops, maybe inverted....but i don't know if i could do that in my 50x50yard area! Any ideas for planes like i've described would be great-i'm hoping I could get something under $150.

thanks!
To do the things you want to do in a 1/2 acre area, you might look at the INDOOR models that can do aerobatics - but you'll have to wait for calm or very light winds to fly.

feihu

Old 07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Nwerdna

well, i'm still in the beginning stages! I've flown 2 and 3 ch planes and now I'd like to try some 4 ch. As long as it's possible to fly the Dragon wing in a 50x50 yard area i think i could do it......Feihu, that sounds like a good idea! any planes you can think of that our under $150?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Sir Raleigh

Here's someone flying a Wing Dragon 3 channel plane in a pretty small area, so I guess the Wing Dragon 4 can too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBEjBkTLtmg
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
SackOHammers

SR,

That thing flies pretty slow. I like it. I doubt the pilot is a beginner though. It would be a rare day that I would try to fly that close to people.

In a 50 X 50 area, its fun to fly my little 2 channel airhog.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Sir Raleigh

That's true, I'm sure he's not a beginner. However, it does show how small an area the WD can fly in.

I used the electronics from my AA Bipe to make a powered glider. Used meat trays for the wings and fuselage, a balsa stick for the boom, and a Styrofoam plate for the tail feathers. It has a 20" wing span and is about 15" long with a "T" tail. Cruses along just fine at minimum throttle and climbs pretty good at half throttle.

Finally got tired of it and bought a 3 channel Firebird Phantom, which really isn't much bigger but flies much faster. I've been flying it for the last few months.

I just received today my Wing Dragon 4. Now I have to learn to fly with ailerons...
Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM
feihu

ORIGINAL: Nwerdna

well, i'm still in the beginning stages! I've flown 2 and 3 ch planes and now I'd like to try some 4 ch. As long as it's possible to fly the Dragon wing in a 50x50 yard area i think i could do it......Feihu, that sounds like a good idea! any planes you can think of that our under $150?

Thanks!
Nwerdna:
You might note that the Wing Dragon is in a constant left turn to stay in the field - and my guess is that the field may be larger than 1/2 acre.
I am not into indoor models, but I see that there is a 3 channel with ailerons-elevator-throttle that can probably aerobatics like loops and rolls and give you experience using ailerons.
Here are a couple of sites that I came across:

<http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/home.php?cat=256>

<http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...6&cart=659188>

feihu
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Nwerdna

Thanks much Feihu for your links! However I think I've narrowed down the many opptions out their to the Wing Dragon 4 or the slo-v. I really like slo-v because of the x-port for dogfights, bombs, and night flying--but I still want to beable to do basic aerobatics! What kind of stuff can you do in with the slo-v? Any general pros and cons for these two planes? I really like both but I can't both of them!LOL

Sir Raleigh, how has your experience been with the Wing Dragon? What kinds of different things can you do that weren't possible with your 3ch?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Sir Raleigh

Sir Raleigh, how has your experience been with the Wing Dragon? What kinds of different things can you do that weren't possible with your 3ch?
I just got the WD4 yesterday and haven't even maidened it yet. I'm expecting to do that Thursday evening.

I'll post back how it goes afterwards.