Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg (CG) Extra 300 making Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Carl Goldberg (CG) Extra 300 making Electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 AM
acejr371

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg (CG) Extra 300 making Electric

I have an CG Extra 300, kit K-55, that I purchased about 10 years ago. I am just getting back into flying again after 14 years. I have my trainer and learning again. I want to make this aircraft electric instead of gas. I know the dimensions and they are:

Wingspan: 68"
Length: 61"
Weight: 7.5 - 8.5 lbs
Engine size: 2-cycle .60 - .90

I want to know what the conversion would be to make this plane electric and need help from the electric experts. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Carl Goldberg (CG) Extra 300 making Electric

To successfully convert this plane to electric you need to be very experienced in E-flight. This model would require a minimum of 800 Watts to fly basic aerobatics, this is not a good place to start with electrics, just my 2 cents, but you'd be better off starting out with an E-plane that weighs less than 2 lbs. and requires less than 200 Watts and hang a nice 2 stroke .90 on the Extra. I fly electrics and glow, at this point in time I would not consider electric for that plane even though the performance could be awesome, so would the cost[X(].
Also the GB Extra would be very inconvenient for an electric as the wing is one piece and it and the canopy would need to removed to access the batteries, the more modern design Extras and Edges have two piece wings making electric conversion more practical.
Now on a more positive note, the Goldberg Extra (kit 55) is one of the best flying models ever[8D]
Good luck,
Pete

Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
acejr371

That you for the great advice. I am looking to get into electric. What would you recommend for a great plane to look at to start?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
pilotpete2

Since you like the Extra 300, I would suggest looking at the Seagull EP Extra 300ARF from Horizon, it has a 43" span and is reasonably priced.
My main recommendation is to chose a plane that is designed from the ground up for electric power, the manufacturers all give good info on suggested power systems.
Electrifly from Tower Hobbies also have an Extra 300S E-performance ARF that looks nice, also they have two sizes of Super Sportster EP ARF's.
For a little larger size, Great Planes has been introducing a new series that are for glow or EP, examples are the new Reactor 3D GP/EP and Revolver GP/EP, these though will be a bit pricier to E power.
I feel that starting with a smaller plane designed exclusively for EP will help you get started in the right direction.
BTW, my Goldberg Extra kit was bought at the WRAM show back in 95', talk about a "roundtoit" had it's maiden flight 3 weeks ago, getting ready now for it's first flights with the fiberglass cowl. I have a Supertigre G90 with Pitts style muffler which helps keep it cleaner than with a normal muffler hanging out the side.
Good luck,
Pete