Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick next electric plane (non-trainer)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Please help me pick next electric plane (non-trainer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
cloud-9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me pick next electric plane (non-trainer)

Hello, I'm new to RC. I have just bought a Hobbyzone Super Cub, and like it a lot. It's very relaxing to fly. Eventually I want a plane that will fly a little stronger and that has ailerons and flaps. The Super Cub sometimes has its hands full with the constant wind here in the desert.

I wish I could fly several and see what I like. But in lieu of that, can anybody shed some light on a pattern plane versus a scale plane like a WWII fighter? Maybe even WWI fighter?
I want to be able to just poke around, taking it easy and relaxing, or put some power on, or maybe so some mild aerobics. Certainly no 3D, not even patterns really, but the pattern planes like the Extreme Flight Vanquish look like very strong fliers. But I worry the pattern planes would be twitchy and nervous. My key characteristics are smooth, graceful, strong, maneuverable, realistic.

The 40 - 50 inch wingspan and around $500 - $700 are my targets, brushless lipo. I don't mind some assembly but have no experience at it (and few tools).

Thanks very much,
Jim

Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Please help me pick next electric plane (non-trainer)

If mild aerobatics is what you are after, there are a few options. First would be the Mini Pulse XT, good first aileron plane on the low rates, very docile when you want it to be, but throw the Park 480 1020kv or something equivalent in there and it becomes a monster when you want it to. Next, don't be afraid of the Vanquish, or it's counter part the Aspera from 3DHobbyShop. On low rates they are extremely controllable and rock solid, go where you point it kind of planes. They are a bit more advanced, maybe not the perfect next step up, and a bit heavier, but if you fly in a lot of wind the weight would be more than welcomed. They both handle wind great. The pulse gets tossed around a little bit in the wind, say over 10-15mph......that is how I killed mine
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I would recommend you look at the Cermark L'il Banshee.

The biggest problem I find with electrics is to match a motor to the plane. The L'il Banshee has an optional motor kit, which includes the motor, ESC/BEC. This eliminates the guesswork in picking a motor. All you would need then would be a battery pack and I would recommend a 1250 mah LiPo with a 20C discharge rate. I would also put on a little larger wheels so you can take off grass.

I have this setup and it works well. It is not a beginner's plane but would be a good second plane.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
wings 540

check out the e-flite mini ultra stick PNP version, it has flaps but you will need a separate BEC.[link]http://www.e-fliterc.com[/link]
Old 09-18-2007, 06:17 AM
kid chuckles

Try the new Eratix it is a very stable plane and almost flys itself. I am fairly new to flying have alot of planes above my head but this plane is very good for me. Costs quite a bit to set it up as required but it is also one of the prettiest planes out there. Builds easy also. And you feel great pulling it out at the field. Like i said it is to one of the best flying and awsume looking planes to come out in some time. Good luck the Super Cubs are great that is what i learned on and have two. One hot rodded up with a brushless 480 almost folds the wings rofl.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Leo L

Most of the planes discussed above are a considerable step up from the SuperCub. A much gentler step up would be the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag). A bigger step, but not unreasonable, would be the ParkZone Typhoon 2. While its listed as a 3-d plane, if you keep it on low rates its a terrific flying plane. A still bigger step would be the ParkZone Stryker.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

ok ok general answer here..
all the above are GREAT Choices...BUT
I like the Vanquish...
nice for gental flying, but real precesion for tha later flyer

TC
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
GoldKraft

Here is my suggestion if you have $500-$700 to play with. Buy you a cheap aileron trainer like the Wing Dragon 4 ($140) then after training on that go with a Mini Pulse or Mini Ultra Stick with a decent radio set up. You can beat up on the WD4...patch it up and keep going much like the cub. I would hate to see you trash a nice balsa learning aileron control.

Oh if you want to go to 50in wing you could also consider a 25e Ultra Stick....it has a 50in wing where the Mini has a 38in wing.