Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sig Rascal ARF Assembly and questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Sig Rascal ARF Assembly and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 05:09 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Rascal ARF Assembly and questions

I bought one along with an FMA flight pack at the WRAM show. I am putting it together now.
Initial impressions are mediocre so far. Although the initial workmanship looks top notch, I have found a few things of issue:
The fit and finish of the wings to the center section leaves a little to be desired. The dihedral brace had a twist in it that caused the left wing to not line up with the center section. Of course, the epoxy will take care of this. As well, the left wing panel was about 1/8" taller than the center section, leaving a shoulder at the seam. The other wing section fit better.
The wing bolt hole did not line up well enough to allow the screw to fit properly. And there was no blind nut for the screw to screw into. I ended up filling the provided hole and redrilling it, inserting my own blind nut.
The wheels do not fit well into the pants. I have cut some away but will apparently need to cut more if the wheels are to roll freely enough for ROG.

Will update more as I complete the process.
I have also heard of the ESC burning up. Sig recommends a 7 cell 8.4volt pack for this plane, saying that a 9.6v will burn out the motor in 15-30 flights. Thats what I bought. Now I find out that that will burn up the ESC?? What gives here? Can someone give me a concise answer to this problem? This is my first foray into electrics. I am hoping that it is not my last.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Barry-RCU

If this is your first electric it was not the best choice. I bought one of these last year and was very dissapointed. The assembly went O K, the trouble began when trying to fly it. My plane had a bad tendency to roll on hand launch (I have lots of expierence hand launching various types of planes). People have different opinions on why (balance point, not enough rudder area, etc). The plane looks as though it should be an easy to fly trainer, it is not. I felt that it was too much to handle for the type of plane that it is. As far as the battery choice I have run the recomended set up and also with the 8 cell pack. Also the recomended prop and a 9" prop. It will fly with either. Be very careful with the wing epoxy joint, they fail because the ribs can be concave and the epoxy only grabs at the edges. This happened to me and many others. I still fly my Rascal but I have to keep on top of it. Just keep these things in mind as you build and fly your Rascal, and hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Good Luck!!
Old 02-27-2002, 02:33 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Barry,
Fortunately, there is another fellow in the club with one so I will enlist his help as well. I am a little disappointed in some of the reports I have read about this plane, yours included.

thanks for the input.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:45 PM
bpannier

I built one from the kit last summer. One of the better flying electrics that I have tried. It is not a acrobatic flyer but will do loops and touch and goes, rolls maybe but lots of alitude loss. Fun to do eights and slow fly bys. Have always ROG from hard surface with no trouble. I fly at 4500 feet so performance would be enhanced if at sea level. Did not put wheel pants as this only adds weight. Equip.rec JR610M, servos 2 NES241,esc jette JES250,bat 7 cell 270 ma. Prop ASP9-6 E, Motor and gearbox that came with kit. Fun Plane. good luck
Old 03-04-2002, 06:14 AM
HitecRedneck

Default tips

Do not slow this plane down and make a turn with it as you would with glow when you land. It has a bad habit of stalling.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Jetmech-inactive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rascal

I also had trouble with the "Little Rascal." I've been flying all types of r/c aircraft since the first escapement came out and this little fello had a mind of its own. Great looking plane but I never knew when it would tip stall. Seemed liked sometimes I could slow it way down without any trouble and other times it would just snap roll. Finally gave it a proper funeral!
Has anyone had experience with the 40 size arf version?
Old 03-14-2002, 01:24 AM
Patrat

Built mine about a year ago, don't remember any particular problems, seemed like a nice kit. The only problem I had flying was due to not putting enough downthrust in the motor, once I corrected that, it was fine.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Barry-RCU

It seems that the ARF is a problem and the guys who built the kit have no problem. This was the same result on RCO last year.