Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed Control Problems - Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Speed Control Problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 06:04 PM
airbarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Control Problems - Help!

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue in which the motor (speed 400) will cut-out after running for only a second or two. The battery is fully charged. This happens on any of the three speed controls that I have. I have also tried a second motor with the same results. Any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2003, 08:48 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size of battery? I have had this happen when the battery is to small for the amp draw of the motor and the voltage drops and the BEC kicks in and shuts off the power. Try a bigger battery and see what happens.

Dru.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:43 PM
airbarron

I actually tried a few different batteries, but the main battery for this airplane is an 8 cell 9.6v 1000 mah pack. I just tested the system on the bench with a DC voltage generator and had great results at 10v DC and a current draw of 2 amps. Any less voltage gave me the same results as with the battery pack. I have a 9 x 6 APC electric prop and a MPI speed 400 motor.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Steve Lewin

That certainly sounds like a battery that won't support the current you're trying to drag out of it. So either the battery is too small (in mAh), you're using too many cells or the prop is too big.

Steve
Old 03-23-2003, 04:47 AM
airbarron

I agree, however, this is the battery that came with the airplane. Other friends of mine have the same combination of motor, esc, and battery. I am beginning to suspect the connectors - perhaps they are generating too much resistance...
Old 03-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Steve Lewin

I assume that motor is geared otherwise 9x6 is WAY too big a prop.

What is the "current draw of 2A" ? Speed 400s should be running at 8 to 10A. If it's only pulling 2A there's something very wrong.

Connectors ? If you've already tried 3 ESCs, 2 motors and a number of batteries there can't be many connectors that have been in there all the time so that doesn't sound like a very plausible explanation.

It sounds like you're changing too many things at once. From what you say you have changed everything in the system at least once. It's difficult to tell anything from that, sorry.

Steve
Old 03-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Tippie

Where is the ESC plugged into on the receiver? Should be plugged into the channel used for throttle (most likely channel 3) and not the one that says battery. Sounds like you are getting the power surge when you turn the receiver switch on causing a momentary motor rotation and then have no throttle control.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It doesn't matter where the ESC is plugged into the receiver. All the + and - pins for the servos are wired together.

I must assume that he's got it plugged into the correct channel, or he wouldn't have throttle control.

What plane is it? That would help in determining the problem, as would more information on the battery. There is not much we can determine from the mAh rating. Is it NiCd? NiMH? What size cells? AA? AAA? 2/3A? It doesn't pay to be vague.