Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lucky escape with my Pitts special

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Lucky escape with my Pitts special

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Piero88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucky escape with my Pitts special

I thought i should share this with my fellow RC modelers I recentley purchased a pitts special from the revolution shop in Honkong the kit was mostley pre assembled all i had to do was instal the motor and electrics and tail wing the motor that was recomenden was a turborix 1000rpm 222w
I took the pitts for its first flight last week and noticed it seemed to fly a bit underpowered so when i got home i checked out the recomended size prop for the motor and discovered i was running a 10x7 prop instead of the recomended 10x5 so with much enthusiasum i changed the prop to a 10x5 the improvement was increadable so much more thrust in fact so much thrust that the motor tore it self from the front bulkhead and made a mess of the front cowl.
the moral of the story is dont trust pre assembeled kits it pays to pay speciall attention to the engine compartement and make sure that its strong enought to cope with your motor.
Just as well i was running the wrong prop my first flight could have ended in disaster.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiances.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 PM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lucky escape with my Pitts special

wow, that is prety scary, never flown fixed wing RC
Old 09-28-2007, 01:59 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lucky escape with my Pitts special

That sort of thing seems to be plaguing the RC hobby in general, I drive 1/5 gas cars and frequently find that engines are far more powerful than the chassis they're on.