Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Thrust to weight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust to weight?

I have so many ideas, so little time. Had an idea for a custom build little flyer, but couple questions before I start to design.

Is there a general rule for figuring out the max weight of an object given the thrust of the motors?

Servo and reciever setup to allow for control of 4 ducts simulating heli flight ( certainly not as agile )

Here is my idea so it helps.........

Make a simple CF main frame, with 3/16 aluminum tube bracing. Mount 4 GWS EDF 40's (maybe 75's), on corners that swivel and rotate via servos. 4 channel setup, simulating heli movement.

I know things like this exist in simple department/toy store versions, but think I could make one with a bit more ability. Needa bit of direction mostly in the weight/thrust area, and the setup of control functions to achieve what seems to be a 3D movement of the ducts.

* My thought was have forward/reverse on one servo to TILT the dusts fore & aft, and another set to SWIVEL them left to right, and so it can actually turn more than bank, have this servo run on seperate arms so the front swivels opposite the front.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Thrust to weight?

I would think that this is not a good application for EDFs. Your concept flyer needs high thrust / low speed to hover like a heli or 3-D. The EDFs provide low thrust / high speed, which is exactly opposite of what you need.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Leo L

I would think that this is not a good application for EDFs. Your concept flyer needs high thrust / low speed to hover like a heli or 3-D. The EDFs provide low thrust / high speed, which is exactly opposite of what you need.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Hatty

This link will help you out: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914

Now, like that Leo said, you don't want ducted fans. They are used in aircraft that travel at high speeds and suck for aircraft that like to hover or fly slowly. You need to turn a large prop at a slow rpm. Think about the Osprey. It has HUGE props. So big in fact that they can't turn the engines horizontal when the plane is on the ground because the props will hit the ground.

Lastly, I don't have much experience with VTOL aircraft, but my understanding is that they are difficult to design. Remember to take it slowly and test things a lot in order to get it right and keep yourself from getting pissed and quitting.