Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ESC

Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 AM
seemefly_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC

Hello I'm in the procces of getting my mini ultra stick and this will be my first electric so I had some questions. In the manual it says this

Important Information About Your Brushless ESC
Make sure your ESC brake is programmed
to Off. Also, be sure to use an ESC with the
proper 9V cutoff when using 3-cell Li-Po packs,
or 6V cutoff when using 2-cell Li-Po packs.

what dose this mean. Also tell me about the Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Battery Cycler. And any extra information about electrics I should know.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 AM
jdetray

Default RE: ESC

Make sure your ESC brake is programmed to Off.
"Brake" refers to what happens when you reduce the throttle level to zero. If the brake is "off," when you reduce the throttle to zero, the prop will freewheel. That is, the prop will spin due to the plane moving through the air. For most types of flying, you want the brake "off."

If the brake is "on," the ESC will stop the prop from spinning when the throttle goes to zero. The most common use for the "on" setting is when you are using a folding prop. A folding prop won't fold if the prop is free to turn.

With most ESCs, the brake can be set to either "on" or "off" by programming the ESC. Instructions for programming should be supplied with the ESC.

Also, be sure to use an ESC with the proper 9V cutoff when using 3-cell Li-Po packs, or 6V cutoff when using 2-cell Li-Po packs.
With lipo batteries, it is important that the batteries never be discharged below 3 volts per cell -- 6V for a 2-cell lipo and 9V for a 3-cell lipo. Discharging a lipo below 3V per cell can permanently damage the battery.

Most ESCs have a feature called Low-Voltage Cutoff or LVC. When you are flying, the battery voltage will be continually decreasing as the battery is discharged. When the battery voltage decreases to the LVC value, the ESC will cut off or reduce power to the motor while continuing to deliver power to the receiver and servos. In this way, the ESC protects the battery from being over-discharged while still allowing you to control the plane and hopefully make a safe landing.

With many ESCs, the LVC point is programmable. If you are using a 2-cell lipo, you set the LVC to 6V. If you are using a 3-cell lipo, you set the LVC to 9V. Some ESCs automatically detect the number of cells you are using and set the LVC accordingly. ESCs vary widely in the way the LVC is set, so consult your ESC's instructions.

- Jeff
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 AM
seemefly_1

ok that clears things up thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
juaffy

Hello,

I hope you can help me on this. I am very new to electric stuffs.

I got a KB45-08L 2300kV brushless inrunner motor specs say its 449g. max voltage is 36v and the highest rated power is 3439w. And then I used a 120A ESC max load =130A and max volt =6 cell 25volts( as is mentioned on the labels). I bought this to drive a 5 inch(127mm) ducted fan.

How many Lipo cells should I use for this motor? And just to mention, I burned My 120A ESC when I used a 18.5 lipo. I just have no idea why.
Then I saw on the battery label that the Max discharge is 130A, could this have caused it?

Now Im looking for a ESC replacement that can handle a High voltage lipo.

Many thanks!