Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New member, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
RicardoNY1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, advice needed

Hello all,
My name is Ricardo and new to the forum. I’ve put together a few balsa kits together in my younger years and have also flown Gas planes and currently fly an electric RC heli. I’m as new as can be to the world of electric flight with regards to airplanes and could really use your advice or feedback on the following………

I really want to put a Guillow’s Cessna 172 kit together for electric flight……..I am comfortable in keeping the build nice and light even with whatever reinforcing I do as I see fit along the way, but not as knowledgeable in selecting the right brushless motor for a build that is supposed to stay within ounces. What do you recommend as a start for a brushless motor or motor/battery/ESC configuration for an airplane of that weight? 10-13oz? I think I can manage in selecting the right servos/receiver, etc.

Best,
Ricardo
Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: New member, advice needed

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0320072
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

Attached is the suppor section for BP Hobbies. I've found them to be extermly helpful in sizing the right motor and battery combos. You will also find thier prices to be extremly competative.
enjoy..
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 AM
jooNorway

Welcome Ricardo

It looks like your model will have a weight like a heavy "shockflyer" or similar. Since you aim for low weight I would have choosen one of the good-brand smaller motors for typical indoor. One choice is the AXI 2204/54. This one weight 26 gram.
A Jeti 08A ECO ESC weight 7 gram and will do the job. Now you have added 33 gram to the plane, but still needs a battery.
Since we deal with a max current of 8A and I would suggest running on 3S to make sure you have the power needed a LiPo in the 500mAh-range, and at least 20C-rate might be the "optimal" choice for both power and low weight. A good battery in this range would be less than 50 gram, maybe closer to 40 gram. Total: 80 gram.
You could get 70Watt from this setup, and this should be enough power.

For such small models the weight is critical, because 30 gram extra add 10% to the weight. This might be the difference between a good flying model and a heavy bad model
Look at SoLite etc for covering. Good lighteight films.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
mrasmm

you can also try something like this for a motor wizard that will figure out what size of motor you need based on your flying style and weight.
http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph...ge1545gintaj37

That plane will probably need something on the order of 75 to 100W if your figure is an AUW figure, if not, figure something like 100w per lb

there's alot of good info from these other two guys, but you were so polite in the way you asked I had to answer, so thanks =) newbs aren't usually that way

welcome to rcu =)

edit forgot the link
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
RicardoNY1

Hello guys,
Thanks for the great advice and the warm welcome. I'll be doing my part by reading through all the great posts here, as they are very informative.

Thank You,
Ricardo
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 AM
mrasmm

no prob =) hopefully that got you all situated, GL