Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Thinking about going electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going electric

Hi all Im thinking of getting back into flying and I am used to glow powered planes. I have recently been looking at EP planes because of where I would fly the most I would like to keep the noise down. But I have a few concerns about EP planes because I have never really dealt with them. First is there something in the radio to where if you are flying it will let u know when the battery is low to allow you to have enough power to land safely. How often do you have to buy battery packs (I will buy two with new plane most likely). Another reason I am looking into EP planes is that I am wanting to get into 3D flying and I would hate to have 600 or 700 dollars in a planes and the motor die on a glow powered causing me to crash. Im not really fond of foam planes but any advice would be helpful. Two planes I am looking at are the RC Universe Biplane even though it isnt wood. Also the Great Planes Ultimate Bipe EP. I love biplanes and have plenty experience to fly one my main concern is the electric power and the advantages and disadvantages. Any helpp is appreciated thank you.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
kbailey45

Default RE: Thinking about going electric

Also looking at a U-Can-Do 3D EP made of flightflex but really want a balsa plane ARF's only
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
kbailey45

Sorry to keep posting but keep forgetting stuff lol. If anyone has an 3D EP plane in good condition for sale I may be interested in going with a used one to save money.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 AM
jdetray

Welcome to e-flight! I can help with some of your questions.
ORIGINAL: kbailey45
First is there something in the radio to where if you are flying it will let u know when the battery is low to allow you to have enough power to land safely.
Not in the radio, but in the electronic speed controller (ESC). The ESC monitors the voltage of the battery. When battery voltage declines to a preset voltage (the low voltage cutoff point or LVC), the ESC cuts off or reduces power to the motor while continuing to provide full power to the receiver and servos. This is designed to give you continued control so you can land the plane.

However, just as you wouldn't want to run the tank dry in a glow-powered plane, it's better not to run the battery down to the LVC point in an electric plane. It's always better to land before the battery reaches that point. When starting out with a new electric plane, you might intentionally keep your flights short, then check the battery voltage after each flight. Then you would gradually increase the length of flights, using more of the battery capacity but stopping short of hitting the LVC.

How often do you have to buy battery packs (I will buy two with new plane most likely).
If you care for your battery packs properly, they will typically last a couple hundred flights. If you abuse the batteries by flying them to LVC every time or charging them too fast or using too large a prop, you'll shorten their lifespans.

I'll leave it to others to recommend planes that will meet your needs.

- Jeff

Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
drterror

i know you said you were into bipes but a good electric plane is
great planes super sportster (48"span) fast fun and CLEAN
ARF version comes with battery pack and ESC stock
if you like it upgrade from there
good flyin'
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 AM
kbailey45

I like the super sportster good looking plane but I really want to get into 3D flying
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Witterings

Have a look at the the Blast and the Sniper on this page http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29_30
I've just bought the Blast and flow in around 8 times so far, really got it to learn 3D and so far what a load of fun, if you serach the internet there are certainly video's of them around as well as here http://www.freeair.cz/ENGLISH/Download-video-AJ.html
The home page for Robotbirds is a UK based site but I know they've a US site as well, if you buzz them a quick e-mail I'm sure they'll give you the URL.
If you want an alternative the Multiplex Acromaster (my other plane) is fully 3D capable and again there are quite a few video's arounf showing what it'll do and whilst it's not EPP it is very strong !!!!!!
Let us know whatyou decide on !!!
Neville
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Dsegal

To determine run time with a given setup you will need a wattmeter to test the current draw of the system. Then calculate the time available from your pack and set the timer on your transmitter. (Run time = pack capacity in amp-hours divided by amps motor draw x 60 = estimated minutes.)
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 PM
cwharper

Here's my two cents and opinions on what to use for the GP Ultimate Bipe. I don't own this plane and have never seen it, my calculations are based on flying weight of the model and type of flying (3D) in this case. I've never used rimfire motors and never will because I've heard of shafts flying out of the motor. It might have been just one type but I'm staying away. I don't like electrifly esc's because I can't reliably get the throttle endpoints set exact. So here is the electric stuff I would start with. An Axi 2814/12 outrunner with an APC-E 10x5 prop for straight up performance (52.7 oz thrust calculated). The Castle Creations Thunderbird-36 brushless ESC, and a Flightpower 11.1v 2170 25C lipo. The thunderbird has a circuit to power the receiver through the throttle channel and all the servos once it has power from the motor battery. Use micro servos and a micro or lightweight receiver of your choice. If you want get three 4mm male and female bullet connectors to connect the esc to the motor or just solder them straight to the motor for the best connection. If the motor doesn't turn in the right direction, reverse any two of the three motor wires. You will need a charger for the lipo battery, I have the Triton2 and like it a lot mainly because it will charge anything up to 5 cell lipos. Next you will need a balancer for the battery to keep all the cells at the same voltage. Flightpower makes a balancer that would work with the triton2 called the V-balance, however I have been able to get the "blinkY' balancer to work with flightpower packs. That's the major stuff, however, there's a host of connectors and small stuff that you might want to make life easier. I would guess that you would get around 10 minutes of flying time with this setup. Does anyone else have any suggestions or real life experiences?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Balr14

If you want to do 3D, the best place to start is with a foam profile bipe. E-flite makes several; the Tensor, Divo and Yak. I have 5 bipes, including an E-flite Ultimate. It's a decent 3D plane (better than Great Planes version), but the profile foamies are hard to beat. I fly a Tensor with a cheap geared brush motor and lipo battery. The motor lasts about 3- 4 hours, but is very cheap to replace (about $5). I can takeoff, fly around and land with the plane on it's side and I'm not very good flying 3D.