Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to this - need some advice!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to this - need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
ladybug2270

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this - need some advice!

Hi everyone my name is Charlotte and I'm thinking about getting an electric RC airplane for my boyfriend this Christmas. I was thinking of getting a ready to fly ( he would love to put it together but I don't know how difficult it is and I understand the 'ready to fly' planes still need some assembly?) But then I read about Trainer planes so I don't know which is best. He has never flown one before so I think whatever is easiest. I found this one on Hobbytron.com:

Watt-Age Cessna 180 EP RTF RC Electric Airplane

is this one a good first timer plane? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Andrew86

Default RE: New to this - need some advice!

Hi Charlotte, welcome to the forums

That Cessna is definitely not a hard plane to fly, but i probably wouldn't recommend it to learn on. I bought a similar plane as my first and crashed it more times than i can count - it was good fun though. For learning to fly i would have to say a 'pusher' style plane is better, this type of plane has the propellor at the back of the plane 'pushing it' instead of being at the front of the plane 'pulling' it like on the cessna - they tend to be more stable.

The Multiplex EasyStar RTF is by far the best trainer in my opinion, it's made of a durable type of foam that will take alot of abuse and is easy to repair. The foam it is made of is unique and can be glued back together with normal household superglue, most foam will melt if you use this sort of glue so repairs are quick and easy. It has a big wingspan and glides very nicely - it is considerably more expensive than the Cessna you mentioned but I think it's worth it because he won't need to spend alot of money (if any) on repairs. Here it is: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm

If that's too much money to spend, I have also read some good things about this plane: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm . Again it is a 'pusher' style plane and is very stable and easy to fly, it just won't take quite as much punishment as the EasyStar above.

Hope that made sense, good luck with it I wish my girlfriend would buy be planes for Christmas!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Multiplex EasyStar is always recommended by someone at our field.

Order a big box of patience while you're at it, too. The best day to fly when starting out is a completely calm, no-wind day and beginners are often likely to head out in a category 5 hurricane because of the excitement to see their little baby fly.

Not as exciting, but a simulator may be appreciated, too, but the good ones are in the $200 range.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
CoytAW

hobbyzone supercub. not super amazing but a good way to start and tough as hell. i crashed mine so many times and all you have to do is make sure you fix the wings before taking off again. plus its fairly cheap and rtf.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The HobbyZone Super Cub and Multiplex the Easy Star are my top recommendations.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Leo L

Hi Charlotte,

The general concensus is that the two best beginner planes are the Multiplex EasyStar (which Andrew already gave you a link to) and the HobbyZone SuperCub: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

Both are great planes to start with. My preference is the SuperCub because it has landing gear that allow it to take off and land in a controlled manner (rather than hand launching and bellyflopping), because it looks like a real plane, and because most hobby shops carry replacement parts. The EasyStar's parts must be bought on-line.

There are cheaper beginner planes that are pretty good, but not as good as these two. If your budget does not allow you to go for these, let us know and we'll recommend something within your budget. But if you can afford these, they are definitely the best choice.