Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric flight + snow/water = good/bad???

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric flight + snow/water = good/bad???

Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric flight + snow/water = good/bad???

Last time I checked, electricity and water don't get along too well.

So I'm wondering... Is it OK to fly off snow or water if you're flying electric?

Reason I ask....

I have an LT40 I've flying with electric. It's been flying really well, and I've been learning. I was just about to solo when the weather turned, and I haven't been able to go out. Now, there's several inches of snow on the ground.

I could buy some skis and put on it. (Probably 60 size, the bird's a little heavy, and to be honest closer to a 60 size bird anyway)

Is flying off snow, while learning, adviseable?

Or should I pack it all in, and wait for spring...???

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Electric flight + snow/water = good/bad???

Absolutely do not pack your gear up. I've flown electric off both snow and water for a very long time. The precautions are essentially no different than flying a wet-power bird.

Do a search for electric seaplanes. You'll find a lot of stuff.
Walt
Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
soarhead-RCU

I have to agree with Walt, Electrics are great winter fliers. No crawling around in the snow to start your engine, tuneing, fueling and freezing your fingers before you ever get to move a stick. Just plugg it in and fly. It was 27* and calm this morning, took my Lazy Bee to the soccer field and flew for 30-40 minutes. Had a set of ski's on it (made out of plastic soda bottle quartered) but the snow that we got yesterdy was too fluffy to takeoff and just landed with a "Whomp". Need to get a crust on it and they work fine. Did a few touch and goes in the parking lot and it was great!!!! Instead of flying that big plane why dont you invest in a small foamy like the GWS Beaver for winter flying and a set of ski's or I have a set of GWS floats that work great on the snow also. Its a very docile, stable flyer in calm winter mornings and can be set up pretty cheaply also, The included motor is plenty good enough to fly it in a scale like manner!!! Plus foam is easy to repair if you put it in a little hard..........

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I fly electics and gliders all year round in NY. Snow, cold, doesn't matter.

You do need to try and keep water out of things as much as possible. If you get water in the receiver, it can really mess things up.

Give it a try but do be as careful to get snow out of the plane before it melts into things.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem in the snow... not done wet work myself but others do it

Few pics from this weekend
[link=http://modelflug.net/myndir/thumbnails.php?album=55]http://modelflug.net/myndir/thumbnails.php?album=55[/link] & [link=http://modelflug.net/myndir/thumbnails.php?album=57]http://modelflug.net/myndir/thumbnails.php?album=57[/link]

Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 AM
LuckyArmpit

I also fly in the winter and snow. I do cover my rx/esc and batt to the point where moisture does not get into them. If it does, most likely the
esc will let out the magic smoke. Another thing to remember, batteries that get cold will not give you the "oomph" as compared to summer time
flying. I will keep charged packs in my pockets to keep them reasonably warm until its time to put them in the plane.

Dave...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Winter flying here in Florida is just great!

Seriously, any water that you get from snow is distilled water (non-conductive) in most parts of the country and will have little impact on your equipment once you dry it out. If severely doused, you can wash in denatured alcohol and then let dry.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
whitecrest

I have found fairly flexible, cloth-like gloves to be helpful while winter flying. They provide both adequate "feel" and warmth. When temps approach 40F or so, my fingers start getting stiff without them. I was surprised to find that flying with gloves was not too bad an adjustment. After some practice, control sensitivity is not impaired too much.

The coldest I've flown so far is about 32F. I thought I would notice less power from the lipos, but so far I'm getting about the same duration as flying in warmer weather. Perhaps the heat generated from flying is enough to maintain normal output. When they come down, the cells are usually slightly warm regardless of temperature.

A brushless motor is pretty simple and robust mechanically, and well insulated electrically, so moisture infiltration shouldn't be much of an issue. However, I would definitely avoid salt water. If I was flying from water, I think I would take extra precautions to waterproof the receiver and ESC.