Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

A123 charges, motors and ESC?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

A123 charges, motors and ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A123 charges, motors and ESC?

All,

I am just getting started in e power and have been reading about the A123 cells and they seem to have many advantages and few drawbacks. To that end I would like some advice on the setup that will match up with them. I am converting a 3 1/2 lb ship with about 600 in2 of wing. I want to be able to fly at about 55mph for 6 mins. I would like to be able to field charge the pack in 15-20mins between flights (ideally just plug into the battery pack in the ship and charge).

Question: the motor I have seen for this application is a AXI 2826-10, will this work with the A123's if so what voltage pack do I build, what amps should I plan on running. I have also see the CC ESC used - what model will match up with this setup and what timer? For the charger what charger/balancer works best with the A123's? Last, is there a motor calc program that handles the A123 battery option?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123 charges, motors and ESC?

You should have a 4S A123 pack (just a bit more voltage than a 3S LiPo). Your 2826-10 will need a 40 amp controller as it will draw in the 30+ amp range - wide open throttle. Here we have a slight problem if you want 6 minutes. The most you can draw for this duration is about 16-18 amps. Not unreasonable if you don't fly full throttle the whole flight.

For a charger there is none better than the CellPro. It will charge the A123 pack in about 50 minutes. While the A123 can be charged in 15 minutes, you would need a charger with 10 amp capability. You are talking some $eriou$ dollar$ here. Better to have a couple of A123 packs ($45 each) so you can be charging one while flying the other. You might consider going to a 2826-12 as it would give you good performance and not have quite a heavy drain on the battery - longer flight tiime. If you are building up the A123 packs get some CellPro balancing plugs from FMA.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A123 charges, motors and ESC?

Red,

Thanks for the input, I did a little web digging and came across two charges for the A123 battery packs that should allow 15-20min field charge: the first is at www.rcpilot.com is a parallel charger from Euorpe and sells for $174 USD for the 2 pack verion around $195 for a 4 pack charger. They claim this system will charge the 1-6 A123 cell in the 2pack and up to 12 cells in the 4 pack in 10mins.

The second is the new Thunder Power T610c charger that also can charge up to 6 Lipos cells or A123, nicads and Pb's. TP claims it can charge at 10amps with would do the A123's in around 10mins also. For the Lipo's and others they would use the normal charge rates. The T610c is $129 but is on back order now. This is the one I ordered.

Best, Dennis