Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

EDF Rafale HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Rafale HELP

I have an Aeronaut Rafale twin EDF. This is my first attempt at electric flight. I went with the Aeronaut fans, but used the Graupner motors (race 500 series). I am using 16x2000MaH in series through both motors. I have flown it twice and found the performance to be very lacking. I am thankful that it is a delta-wing or else it would have been lost by now. I had to keep a very high AoA during the flights just to keep it in level flight.

I am thinking of replacing the motors with car motors (Rubies). The thinking is that the car motors will give me much higher RPMs and I don't need the higher torque that the airplane motors produce. The Rubies should give me about 55,000 RPM with no load. Has anyone ran car motors in their planes? Any of you have any suggestions? I realize that Brushless is an option. However, I am not going that route right now as this is my first try at electric.

Cary
Old 04-10-2003, 01:41 PM
dorysch1

Default EDF Rafale HELP

try a Wemotech fan and a hacker motor that will make it cook!
Old 04-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Default Not ready for Brushless $$$

Thanks for the reply. I have several options if I want to go with brush less motors. However, I would like to try to get this plane flying properly with out having to invest in a pair of brush less motors and the ESC that they would need. I already have made a sizable investment (for my wallet anyway) to see if I want to fly EDF. I will try the car motors unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't. IMHO they should be well suited to EDF applications.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cary
Old 04-12-2003, 09:59 PM
gripper

Default EDF Rafale HELP

the thing u have to look at is that u`ve made a sizeable investment so far and it doesnt fly well.so u either take the plunge ($300?) and get it to fly really well or u keep trying to take the cheaper route and ,heaven for bid , smash your investment into the ground.when i first tried dabbling with electric i had a small tucano with speed 400 power and it was lacking.i spent about £120 on a mega motor (b/less) and esc and it changed the aircraft from something that was a pain to fly to something that amazed everybody with its speed and power.and dont forget that in 4 years time at the rate that brushed motors wear out in df`s you would have spent more than the cost of the b/less option.as i always say if somethings worth doing its worth doing properly.if you r worried about spending too much ,too early,then why spend $400 on a rafale? good luck if u need help getting cheap b/less equipment pm me and ill dig out a web site for the company i used they were great and postage costs pennies