Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Mylar covering

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
FrenchFry1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mylar covering

Does anyone have any experience with mylar coverings, know the best places to get it? I am planning on getting a spinner xt and want to cover the foam wings with mylar. Also, has anyone tried to dye mylar as hinted in the below link?

http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/usi...materials1.htm
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mylar covering

I recently purchased a 500' x 12" roll of Doculam, which is like the modified Mylar covering described in the article you linked, after reading some good things about it. It is much lighter than Monokote, comes with a heat-activated adhesive, and is heat-shrinkable. It is a transparent material but is supposed to take acrylic latex (water-based) paint very well. I am hoping it works out on my light-weight electrics because it is a very inexpensive covering material without the disadvantages of tissue and dope (low-strength and toxic fumes). I am most interested to see how well the latex will stick to it. Also, my paint jobs often leave a lot to be desired. [&:] I was able to find a supplier who would take PayPal, and the 500' x 12" roll was only about $16 including shipping. It will take a very long time to use that up.