Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What Motor to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Motor to use

Built my first aerial photo plane. So far the weight is 31.5 oz less motor and battery. Looking for suggestions on what motor and battery to use. This is my first attempt at electric flying... it looks good... hope it flys. Been in glows for yrs so not new to RC flying. Thanks for any help...Dick
Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: What Motor to use

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B1898545

this is an option to start with. i alway reccomend talking to the support staff and review your plane specs with them. they can narrow your search down and put togheter the esc and battery size required to fly your bird
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
jzrf6c

You may also want to download MotoCal and input the parameters yourself. This way you can try different options. Even though MotoCal is not free software they use to have a 30 day evaluation copy available. Either way, if you intend on staying with Electrics its worth the price.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everything you want to know about electric flight
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Lots of good background info that will help you understand your electric power system.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

When i frst got into Electric, that became the burning questionand for me the following was the solution.

I went into Hobby Lobby with the specified weight of the plane, what prop was to be used on the fueled motor (if it was a convrsion. Then I would look down the list of AXI motors, and find one that was designed to fly a plane of that weight and using a prop close to what the fueled motor would use. Once found, it tells what battery, ESC, prop etc you would need to get.

Then on occasion, I would go up one size to get some added power or performance. For Example an AXI 2820 is a great motor for planes in the 2-3 lb range, but go up to the 2826, and get a big boost in power for very little weight penalty. I fly planes in the 4 Lb range very effectively with the 2826.

My EP Superstar is going on 5 years old, and is still flying on th same 2820 motor I put on it to replace the brushed motor. The motor has just run and run and run. Hundreds of flights all over the country.

My ACE 4-40 Bipe comes in at 4.5 Lb, and performs great on the 2826/12 and a 12/8 prop. This was my 3 month winter project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94189.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	890835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51941.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	890836