Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Balancing Charger reviews/comparisons?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Balancing Charger reviews/comparisons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
TallDoode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Charger reviews/comparisons?

All,

I need a new charger and am getting overloaded with information. I think I narrow down the choices, then I hear something negative and change my mind! Never been in a hobby that made me so dang wishy-washy.

Has anyone seen a site that has a way to compare the various balancing chargers? I have been looking at:

Thunder Power 610C (should be some available in a week or so at my LHS) Someone said "80watts is not enough for charging 6s batteries" so now I am torn on this one
Hyperion 0610i - lots of capability but it only charges at 1C, doesnt have AC inputs, (this is my new front runner)
FMA Revolectrix 10s - Available the end of the month. Says it will charge up to 3C but threads state that charging over 1C will reduce battery lifespan. Also the website doesnt say if it charges A123 batteries, NiCad etc.
Not to mention all the others. The BC-5, BC-6 etc. Too many choices, not enough comparison info.

So, again, has anyone stumbled across a site that sells them all and allows for the "check box" comparison? My LHS guys are pretty clueless when it comes to balancing chargers as they dont sell any of them. Money isnt an issue on which charger I buy (gotta love Christmas bonuses) so I want the "best" balancing charger. At this point all I fly/drive are up to 4s batteries, but the future could hold up to 8s as my heli's get larger (couple years down the road).

Thanks,

dave
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Balancing Charger reviews/comparisons?

This might help you out (Or wish-wash you some more)

http://www.progressiverc.com/Charger.html
Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
TallDoode

Thanks for the link. That is actually the site I have been using to determine all the Balancing Chargers on the market. I imported the site into an Excel spreadsheet, sorted by "Bal" and then by price and have been poking around on the websites to see the options. I think what i may have to do is my own "comparison" page, i.e. list all the features for all of them side by side. Sometimes having "unlimited budget" can be a curse <grin>. If I only had $79.00 to spend then the choice is easier. I have saved $250.00 from the Christmas bonus but based on what I have seen the most expensive is not necessarily the best charger out there.

Thanks again!

dave
Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I wish I could help you more, but haven't jumped on the "balance charger" band-wagon yet. I've got a dozen or so written down, and they are probably all on that web-site.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
TallDoode

LOL, no worries. I am only jumping on the bandwagon because I am in the market for a new charger and am tired of all the crap I have to remember to take to the field every week if I want to fly for more than six flights (I have 6 batteries). Tool kit, battery, charger, cables, balancer, spare parts, coffee, more spare parts, more coffee, radio.... one week I took all that and forgot to put my planes and T-Rex into my truck.

If I can get a charger with the balancer built in that is one less part I need to worry about (of the 2,000 other parts I need to worry about). Not to mention the 2C charge rates some offer so that I can be flying sooner. Nothing sucks more than waiting for the "beep" when the conditions are perfect.

Thanks again,

dave