Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery Near ESC??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Mav-Ric
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Near ESC??

Hey guys, I just bought a Great Planes Electrifly Synapse EDF. I got a battery that is compatible, however it is not the battery the manufacturer recommended for the plane. Because of the battery's size, I had to remove some foam from the electronics bay to create room for the battery. However, the only way to get everything to fit (the RX, speed control and wires, and battery), I had to mount the ESC on the side wall of the bay. Now when I place the battery ( 3cCell, 11.1 V, 1300 mAh VampowerPro) in the bay, it sits up against the ESC - and sits up pretty tight against it. CG is right on with this set up.

Now, here is my question: Is this going to cause a problem? I know that the battery and ESC get hot during flight. The Synapse canopy does have air vents in it. The air will flow straight through the canopy and out the back. Is this going to be a problem during approximately 10-15 minutes of mixed flying? I wont be at full throttle the entire time, but as I said, I will be mixing it up. Does anyone see this as a huge concern? I have gotten mixed opinions reguarding this set up. I really would like to maiden it tomorrow, but if it's going to catch on fire or combust in the sky, then I'd rather wait and try to figure something else out.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Mav-Rick
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Battery Near ESC??

Great Planes' recommended 1250mAh pack is even larger than the Vampower pack! It looks like you'd normally use a 910mAh pack. The larger 1300mAh pack will handle the load better and not get nearly as hot.

Looks like you should be okay.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Battery Near ESC??

Personally, I'd be a little worried about having the ESC up against the LiPo battery. This means you will limit the airflow over the ESC, and it will be heating up your LiPo pack, which is not very desirable. I'd say run it on the bench with the canopy off and monitor the ESC temp.