Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

spektrum DX6 range question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
wings 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum DX6 range question

Hi, quick question. how far is the range on a spektrum dx6 radio?

thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: spektrum DX6 range question

Its considered a park flyer. It has the same "range" as the 6i and 7 but it lacks the dual reciever configuration so it can be subject to shadowing and loss of signal at ranges larger planes fly.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spektrum has never clearly stated a range. I usually tell people that 1500 feet is a good working range and 2000 feet is still probably quite safe. For most people that is more than enough range.

Remember that 2.4 GHz systems do NOT like being inside carbon fuselage planes. That will dramatically reduce the range.

Always range check your plane from a variety of angles when you first set it up to be sure that nothing blocks the signal.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
wings 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if I wanted to could I fly a .40 sized plane with it? I have flown foamys well above 200' and I don't see any reason to fly much higher, unless your flying like a 33% extra or something.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You asked about range. What type of plane is a different matter.

Glow planes are not recommended. It might work, but the large metal motor, sometimes metal fuel tank, present shadowing concerns. So Spektrum does not recommend the DX6 for glow planes. The limitation is more in the receiver than the transmitter.

The DX6i and the DX7 are both recommended for glow planes as well as all other planes because they are DSM2 transmitters that can use the AR6200, AR7000, AR9000 receivers. These have a main receiver and a remote receiver so that they can more easily "see around" such obstructions.

DX6 should be kept to electrics and gliders that will be flown within 2000 feet.

If you search on DX6 you will find thousands of posts and huge threads just full of information on that system.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The higher the frequency the more loss of signal when you get with bushes, trees, a hill or a house between you & the plane. Depending on the speed & duration, you may go into "failsafe" once in a while.
Higher, Giga hertz frequencies, " scatter power " faster than the stuff around 72 mhz.