Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

can ya fix a bent prop shaft?????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

can ya fix a bent prop shaft?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
waynemia
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can ya fix a bent prop shaft?????

I have a FlyZone Piper. Went out today with a new transmitter setup. Short story, bent motor shaft. This is the second one. Replacements are $13 at Tower BUT! anyway to do something about these bent ones? Any ideas of what to do with them other than throw them out?

These are 380 size brushed motors.

OK, I did crash so it is my fault .

I guess I could turn them into tatoo guns and sell them at the prison?

Oh, any ideas about a cheaper sub would be OK too.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: can ya fix a bent prop shaft?????

Never heard of anyone replacing a bent motor shaft in a 'cheap' canned motor. They really aren't designed to be taken apart and fixed.

If you want a plug-and-play substitute, can't help you with that. The 380 (AKA Speed 400) motors are quite abundant and you can find them in quite a few places. The motors aren't all the same even though they may look the same on the outside. You want a motor that will swing a 6x4 or 7x3 prop on whatever battery you are using (voltage).

Looking at a picture of the replacement motor though, the shaft looks quite long. How much of it sticks out of the can?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Same here, never heard of replacing shafts in the cheap canned motors.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

People will buy anything, and with that I'm introducing my new business.

Newbies:
Hate to think of that beautiful bird of yours getting crashed? Afraid to fly because you are afraid to crash? Uncle Brad has the answer for you... PRE-CRASHED airplanes!

Thats right - Uncle Brad will purchase the plane of your choice, expertly build it and crash it for you! The plane will then be carefully boxed up and sent to you, along with tips on how to fix it. You can fix it, and then, since it is no longer beautiful, fly it without stress - after all, you have already repaired it. Crash guaranteed, including pictures for your flight log!

Price list (does not include the cost of the original kit, or shipping):

Rip the landing gear off, scuff the bottom and break a prop..................$30.00
Full side crash, including breaking the wing in at least 2 pieces..............$50.00
Complete anhiliation (guaranteed to be in 20 or more pieces)...............$75.00

We also offer a rebuild service - that's right! Not only will we crash it for you, we will fix it, and then mail you the fixed airplane! Cost is as quoted above, plus $50.00 per hour to rebuild (2 hour minimum). Rebuild-estimates given before the work starts!

So, don't be anxious or stressed, call Uncle Brad's crash service now: 1-800-we-crash!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 AM
JRickey

It can be done. Take the shaft out of the motor and out of the housing bell. Roll the shaft on a flat steel surface. I use my table saw table. Take a rubber mallet and hit the shaft while rolling it on the surface, concentrating on the obvious bent area. If the mallet won't do it, take a piece of soft flat wood like fir and roll the shaft between the steel surface and wood while hitting it with a hammer. Use harder wood as needed. This is what I do and also use it on the inner shaft of my heli.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 AM
JRickey

By the way you can get replacement motors from TP for around $15 with replacement shafts for about $4 [link=http://www.graysonhobby.com]here[/link]
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
TallDoode

LOL @ Glacier Girl!

I have to agree with most people here. I usually consider brushed motors disposable and when I goof one, I replace it with brushless for better performance. I have tried to straighten shafts with mixed results. If they are not too bent, I can hammer them out and still fly until I can make it to the hobby shop.

Cheers,

dave