Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Different motors for A-10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 12:15 PM
ch2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different motors for A-10?

I read the GWS A-10 is underpowered, and I also saw other EDF motors with 6 blades instead of 4 like the ones included with the A-10. Would these 6 blade EDF's fit the A-10?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I've read quite the opposite: The A-10 is adequately powered, but not overpowered. You have to fly on the wing, not on the motors. I suppose if you consider adequately powered as underpowered...

Anyway, I believe the 6-bladed EDF units have a much larger diameter than the EDF50 units that come with the kit. If you upgrade the fans, you need to use a fan unit of the same physical size.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

It seems that every review I've read on the A-10 involves converting to brushless, bigger fans, mod's for more power etc. It may fly in stock form but there doesn't appear to be anyone excited about the stock performance.

I was (am) planning on buying one, but after purchasing the stock plane, adding brushless motors and ESC's, this thing gets Very expensive for a foamie!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
ch2s

What are brushless motors?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Brushless motors are exactly what they say they are: Motors without brushes.

Regular "can" motors have an iron armature (the spinny part) wound with copper wires to create an electromagnietic field. Permanent magnets are stuck to the inside of the "can" for the armature to push against when electricity is applied. If you simply connected wires to the armature, they'd quickly twist up and break off. So, these motors have brushes, chunks of metal that "brush" up against the armature to transmit the electricity. The armature spins, and the brushes stay in one place.

Brushless motors have the copper windings stuck to the inside of the motor's "can," instead of on the armature. The permanent magnets are attached to the armature. This way, wires can be permanently attached to the windings, and no brushes are necessary.

If you are not familiar with the basic layout of an electric motor, might I suggest a little research, including a visit to http://www.ezonemag.com to read their FAQ? No, tiny hampsters don't make the motor turn
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 PM
ch2s

Originally posted by mkirsch
Brushless motors are exactly what they say they are: Motors without brushes.

Regular "can" motors have an iron armature (the spinny part) wound with copper wires to create an electromagnietic field. Permanent magnets are stuck to the inside of the "can" for the armature to push against when electricity is applied. If you simply connected wires to the armature, they'd quickly twist up and break off. So, these motors have brushes, chunks of metal that "brush" up against the armature to transmit the electricity. The armature spins, and the brushes stay in one place.

Brushless motors have the copper windings stuck to the inside of the motor's "can," instead of on the armature. The permanent magnets are attached to the armature. This way, wires can be permanently attached to the windings, and no brushes are necessary.

If you are not familiar with the basic layout of an electric motor, might I suggest a little research, including a visit to http://www.ezonemag.com to read their FAQ? No, tiny hampsters don't make the motor turn
I know how brush motors work but how are the fixed magnets in brushless motors controlled?